Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall shelving for an electric train

Wall shelving for an electric train

Somebody talk me out of it... I've always wanted an electric train that would run around the room on the wall. I'm sure there's a reason why I shouldn't do it... but since I'm shopless for a little while yet I've got lots of time to think of all the cool things I'll never get around to actually doing. Would it be as simple as just putting up shelf?

Why would we talk you out of it? Sounds like fun.
    Of course, it does kind of take over the whole room, doesn't it?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    ...Of course, it does kind of take over the whole room, doesn't it?
    Not if you only run the track along the wall.

http://www.diyhobbies.com/

KC, I think it'd be fun to do.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

One of those things I've always thought would be cool to do - go for it!
    Do a google search first - plenty of ideas out there.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

KC, I think it'd be fun to do.
    Wonder what the Radius has to be to turn the corners and run a Lionel around my Basement Family room? Might be a dandy idea...

I agree with all the others. This would be a great idea who wants to talk you out of it. Life's too short, go for it. I plan on building a pub in my basement now that my shop moved out, this would make a great novelty above the bar.
    Pity my train which I kept for the better part of my life I gave to my youngest son and it got demolished. When the time comes i will look into this.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

Ahh, you're just thinking one track right along the wall.

I've seen a setup where the guy built a 2' deep "counter" all around the room which let him put lots of track and trains, and still be able to get at things and work on it. I was thinking much bigger.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Hmmm... 1 sheet of 1/2" mdf, cut 7 1/2" wide, will actually give you 48 feet of straight shelf. That will go all the way around a 12 x 12 room. Figure another sheet for curves and bridges and mistakes...

Shelf bracket every 16 or 32 inches ought to hold it up. You'd need to get power up there, and maybe some special lighting. Paint. Supplies. 200. That much again for the cost of the train. All that track would set you back some. Call it a total of somewhere around 5.

But it would be a lot of fun to make! You could play Gomez, in spectacular fashion!

"Cara Mia!"

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 01-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    We had a guy do a 2 wide track around his tray ceiling. It stuck out maybe 12".
    There used to be a pizza joint in the next town over. They had a one tracker that went all the way around the out side walls. Went through the dinning room into the lobby then into the kitchen and back into the dinning room. They had the holes in the walls made up to look like tunnels.
    That sounds like the Pizza Planet in OKC!
    At our previous house, I had a 10 X 10 bedroom with a platform about 30" deep all around the room. Track on 2 levels. The "yard" had track 8 deep. Had to duck under it to get in the room, and work from the middle. Thought I had another room at the present house, but LOML claimed it for her music annex. That was the "Pink Room" we just finished remodelling. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Kirk:

I've seen it done in several restaurants and stores. I saw one place where they had brackets come out of the wall above the "road bed" and there were pieces of what looked like thin threaded rod hanging down to the road bed and going through a "cross tie" that ran below the road bed.

That design would seem to be fairly easy to get level since the road bed was "adjustable". But all that threaded rod could be a budget buster. Again, compared to the per foot price for track it's probably less that the track money.

My son has a small HO layout that has eaten up a bunch of money in track, transformers and such.

Something to remember is that you might need access to the road bed for cleaning and such and you don't want a derailment coming off the road bed and landing on anything delicate. I have that scene from the Harrison Ford movie The Fugitive in mind as I'm typing this.

Cheers

Jim.
    Last edited by Jim Mattheiss; 01-24-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: removed bothched ascii drawing and reference to it