Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More wooden hand planes-

More wooden hand planes-

here are some wooden planes iv'e made -

the four rosewood ones on the end of the bench are made from one hunk of rosewood-the biggest one is 24" and takes a 2" blade-really it's a little too big-

the second one is 20" but i'll skip that one ( it's never worked right)
    this one is 18"with a 1 3/4" blade

the short one i really like and not just because it looks like a train engine-it has a 1 1/2" blade-

all four of these planes have goncolo alves bottoms and lignum vite inserts in front of the blade-

both of these planes are made from zebra wood with lignum vitae bottoms and inserts-
    this plane and the next iv'e had around for awhile-i made them maybe 20 years ago-both are made from cocobolo

this little smoother and the next are new-made them last year-the one is cocobolo with a goncolo alves bottom , the other is walnut with a lignum vitae bottom both have 1 5/8" blades-

one of the great things about this type of plane is your hands will find different ways and places to take hold -

thanks for looking
    rounding off the sharp corners
    alex

Edward, why do the planes is the 6th picture have the deep gouges in their sides? Thanks for posting the pictures. I found them to be very interesting. I am dying to try out a woody to feel the difference. Smithsville must be a hotbed of woodworking activity with both you and Sam Blasco living in the same small town.

bill-that's just a little place for my thumb - besides sam and myself there are two other wood shops in down town smithville.

alex

They're all very cool, Alex. I really liked two old cocobolo planes...the rough sides and 'custom thumb grips' shows they're working planes, not a showpieces. Great choices on the various woods, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

glad you posted these alex,, and i agree they look used and not for show..i se you added a piece in the sole to close your gap for finer cuts huh?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Beautifully done. I'll never catch the Neander excitement again, but I do appreciate what you guys make and enjoy using.

Alex,

Did you happen to study at College of the Redwoods? Just curious as your planes sure seem to be Krenov styled, if not directed. Good looking and functional (with exceptions you noted). It's nice to have the flexibility you spoke of relating to how you can hold and use the planes. I love the wood planes, too. I've only made one so far, but I've got another Hock blade/chip breaker set sharpened and waiting. Which of the woods, you used in your planes, have you preferred over others, if any?

Slightly off topic, but would you mind snapping a shot or two of your long chisel / gouge / screwdriver rack on the wall in one of your posted pictures. I've been trying to decide how I might best hang my tools and yours looks like it could work for me, too. I wanted to see how you took care of the distance from the wall and space between tools.

Thanks,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Geez, those are sweet looking planes Edward, and I'm sure that they sign like angels.

Mine at their side seem the apprentice's ones, thanks a lot for posting them.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

lee laird-nope never been to the redwoods, i do know a few woodworkers who studied there- i'm self taught- though like most who started around the time jim krenov came on the woodworking scene you couldn't help but be influenced
    by him -- i'm sure there are plenty out there old enough to remember when there was maybe half a dozen books available that taught anything about doing what we do-and if you were like me stuck in the middle of country road texas-you couldn't go ask anyone how to do this are that ,now you can get a dvd on how to do anything-go on line--in 1973 i had audels carpenter and builders guide-volume one-hand tools and joinery-(everything you need to know to make furniture is in that little book) encyclopedia of furniture making by ernest joyce and the inner game of tennis by tim gallwey--those books and practice--oh i turned the inner game of tennis into the inner game of wood shop--lee will post those pics of workbench later .
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by edward alexander View Post
    and the inner game of tennis by tim gallwey--those books and practice--oh i turned the inner game of tennis into the inner game of wood shop--
    For me it was Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Of course I had a motorcycle at the time so... The 70's, the decade of metaphysics!