More wooden hand planes-

here are some wooden planes iv'e made -
DSCF0001-25.jpg

the four rosewood ones on the end of the bench are made from one hunk of rosewood-the biggest one is 24" and takes a 2" blade-really it's a little too big-
DSCF0003-40.jpg

the second one is 20" but i'll skip that one ( it's never worked right)
this one is 18"with a 1 3/4" blade
DSCF0008-18.jpg

the short one i really like and not just because it looks like a train engine-it has a 1 1/2" blade-
DSCF0012-11.jpg

all four of these planes have goncolo alves bottoms and lignum vite inserts in front of the blade-
DSCF0010-13.jpg

DSCF0006-33.jpg

both of these planes are made from zebra wood with lignum vitae bottoms and inserts-
this plane and the next iv'e had around for awhile-i made them maybe 20 years ago-both are made from cocobolo
DSCF0004-23.jpg

DSCF0009-18.jpg

this little smoother and the next are new-made them last year-the one is cocobolo with a goncolo alves bottom , the other is walnut with a lignum vitae bottom both have 1 5/8" blades-
DSCF0002-31.jpg

DSCF0007-24.jpg

DSCF0009-19.jpg

one of the great things about this type of plane is your hands will find different ways and places to take hold -
DSCF0001-26.jpg

DSCF0003-41.jpg

DSCF0002-32.jpg

thanks for looking
rounding off the sharp corners
alex

Edward, why do the planes is the 6th picture have the deep gouges in their sides? Thanks for posting the pictures. I found them to be very interesting. I am dying to try out a woody to feel the difference. Smithsville must be a hotbed of woodworking activity with both you and Sam Blasco living in the same small town.

They're all very cool, Alex. I really liked two old cocobolo planes...the rough sides and 'custom thumb grips' shows they're working planes, not a showpieces. ;) Great choices on the various woods, too. :clap:

Alex,

Did you happen to study at College of the Redwoods? Just curious as your planes sure seem to be Krenov styled, if not directed. Good looking and functional (with exceptions you noted). It's nice to have the flexibility you spoke of relating to how you can hold and use the planes. I love the wood planes, too. I've only made one so far, but I've got another Hock blade/chip breaker set sharpened and waiting. Which of the woods, you used in your planes, have you preferred over others, if any?

Slightly off topic, but would you mind snapping a shot or two of your long chisel / gouge / screwdriver rack on the wall in one of your posted pictures. I've been trying to decide how I might best hang my tools and yours looks like it could work for me, too. I wanted to see how you took care of the distance from the wall and space between tools.

Thanks,

Geez, those are sweet looking planes Edward, and I'm sure that they sign like angels.

Mine at their side seem the apprentice's ones, thanks a lot for posting them.

lee laird-nope never been to the redwoods, i do know a few woodworkers who studied there- i'm self taught- though like most who started around the time jim krenov came on the woodworking scene you couldn't help but be influenced
by him -- i'm sure there are plenty out there old enough to remember when there was maybe half a dozen books available that taught anything about doing what we do-and if you were like me stuck in the middle of country road texas-you couldn't go ask anyone how to do this are that ,now you can get a dvd on how to do anything-go on line--in 1973 i had audels carpenter and builders guide-volume one-hand tools and joinery-(everything you need to know to make furniture is in that little book) encyclopedia of furniture making by ernest joyce and the inner game of tennis by tim gallwey--those books and practice--oh i turned the inner game of tennis into the inner game of wood shop--lee will post those pics of workbench later .
alex

Alex,

Thanks. I'm right there with you. It was certainly a different time when we started woodworking. I guess I was a little after you. I recall playing around on my dad's Shopsmith and metal lathe around the time you mentioned.

Thanks again, in advance, for the upcoming photos of your bench and rack holding your chisels and such.

These look great!

Edward,
Thank you for posting these pictures! Your "fleet" looks as awesome as they perform. They make me want to build a Krenov style handplane right NOW!

Now that's just inspirational. I love using my planes, but am definitely intimidated about making my own. I think i just need to take the plunge and give it a go. If all goes badly, burn the wood and re-use the cutter.
That's an impressive set of tools you've made.
paulh

If all goes badly, burn the wood and re-use the cutter.

paulh

paul-it's no big deal making a krenov style plane - if you don't have it then get the book "the fine art of cabinetmaking" by jim krenov follow along the way he shows and not much can go wrong-- i made my first wooden plane in 1977 and it worked just fine- over the years iv'e made quite a few and changed a few things from the way krenov showed to ways that better suit me--anyway don't let the thought that it's some complicated job (it's not) stop you.-

alex

Alex

Thanks again, in advance, for the upcoming photos of your bench and rack holding your chisels and such.

lee- here are some pictures of my bench work area-the benchtop is made from 1x4x106 inch birch all full length pieces (no splices) the 2x6 inch that is on the face is long leaf pine (100 year old) the two vises on the front are quick action the end vise is and old screw type the stand it is attached to is just 2x lunber yard stuff-
DSCF0002-34.jpg

DSCF0001-27.jpg

DSCF0014-9.jpg

a sheet of 3/4 plywood is attached to the bricks - shelf -rack that holds the tools starts with lay out stuff - most of it is starrett (years back i bought a box at an auction for five bucks-it had a dozen starrett squares in it-lucky me)
DSCF0019-9.jpg

DSCF0020-6.jpg

a few hammers and two wood mallets-and chisels below are a bunch of scrapers and the all important pencil sharpener
DSCF0008-19.jpg

DSCF0007-25.jpg

a few gouges wood files, rasps-screw drivers-egg beater drill
DSCF0010-14.jpg

planes-
DSCF0002-33.jpg

DSCF0009-20.jpg

DSCF0011-15.jpg

DSCF0013-9.jpg

the hub - it all starts are comes back here

alex

lee laird-nope never been to the redwoods, i do know a few woodworkers who studied there- i'm self taught- though like most who started around the time jim krenov came on the woodworking scene you couldn't help but be influenced
by him -- i'm sure there are plenty out there old enough to remember when there was maybe half a dozen books available that taught anything about doing what we do-and if you were like me stuck in the middle of country road texas-you couldn't go ask anyone how to do this are that ,now you can get a dvd on how to do anything-go on line--in 1973 i had audels carpenter and builders guide-volume one-hand tools and joinery-(everything you need to know to make furniture is in that little book) encyclopedia of furniture making by ernest joyce and the inner game of tennis by tim gallwey--those books and practice--oh i turned the inner game of tennis into the inner game of wood shop--lee will post those pics of workbench later .
alex

Hey Edward, I still have my old Audel books too.:D What's Sam been up to? He promised more pics of his Shop Redo, but has sure been quiet since then. You got him doin' Chores or have ya'll jus been hidin' out back playin Dominos or sump'n? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

and to think that great things come from that group of tools that are all dusty and nicked and old,, but work like new once in your hands..thanks for the tour alex,and its probally reminecnt of the old cab shops of yester year..