Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shop lay out

shop lay out

But if you had no size restriction what would you say would be the best foot print around the machine to work with it?

I am thinking that a good foot print for a table saw would have 4 feet on both sides and 18 feet in feed and out feed. And a planer could go next to a wall with 4 or so feet of space to one side and again 18 feet of in feed and out feed.
    Same thing with a joiner. Work benches with 4 feet all the way around but that space could overlap with work space of some of the machinery.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 12-30-2009 at 04:34 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Chuck, go to the Grizzly site. They have what you're looking for I think. ( http://grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx )
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Don't know of a shop layout software, but Nebraska Furniture Mart's site (http://www.nfm.com) has a online design layout tool for furniture. I measured out the floor print and foot print of my tools and used it to do mine. I just drew square and rectangles for the tool's footprint. Other than that, you might just try sketchup to do the same or do the shop all in 3d. Can probably get 3d drawings for most of your tools.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Chuck, go to the Grizzly site. They have what you're looking for I think. ( http://grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx )
    Wow, yeah Chuck, that looks much easier...Thanks Royall...great link, hadn't seen it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Royall That's just what I was looking for thanks.
    I played around with it and it looks like a 50' x 70' shop would be just right.
    That is just the power room and does not include the finishing, wood storage or hand tool room, right Chuck?

hey royal wherewere you 2years ago.. i used sketchup chuck and the 3d look of it is nice it gives you some ideas that you wont see in the flat mode. but for starters this link that royal gave us is sweet.. you can get the machnes on sketchup to and you can rotate them and see the in fed and out feed areas needed for the tools.. that is something youned to look at aswell. and then enter in neds time frame and your all set.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    AHHHH to dream!!! But I keep waking up to reality
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

But if you had no size restriction what would you say would be the best foot print around the machine to work with it?

I am thinking that a good foot print for a table saw would have 4 feet on both sides and 18 feet in feed and out feed. And a planer could go next to a wall with 4 or so feet of space to one side and again 18 feet of in feed and out feed.
    Same thing with a joiner. Work benches with 4 feet all the way around but that space could overlap with work space of some of the machinery.
    well tell ya what you get i tlaid out and let us see what ya got and then we can go from there but in the end you need to make it fit you! as for the tsaw the right hand side is just for ripping and on mine i have the drum sander right next door usint the same space in frt and back. the planer is something thatyou can stor out of the way and them bring out if its on wheels. i dont think you need 18ft in frt and back.. most of the stuff i have used and seen others work with is 12ft stuff..when you start gettin 16' stuff its gettin tricky to manage it straight along the fence or handle comfortbale period.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Well I'm thinking that the building should be a 100' x 80' with an 22' eve the wood shop side would be two story with 12' ceiling on the first floor and the second for storage, stock, dry kiln,and may6be a finish room.
    Who said there is a recession on the go looks like Chuck plans on expansion big time.

Chuck why would you need 18ft on the infeed of a table saw. Realistically you chop lumber down on a miter saw and make it more manageable. Sure say 10ft would be more than enough. That would allow the ripping of a piece of 8ft plywood with 2ft to stand behind it. I mean how do you end up controlling an 18 ft piece going through a table saw.
    cheers

Well I'm thinking that the building should be a 100' x 80' with an 22' eve the wood shop side would be two story with 12' ceiling on the first floor and the second for storage, stock, dry kiln,and maybe a finish room.
    Just a couple of things missing:
    • Freight Elevator
    • Overhead Hoist System
    • Loading Dock
    • 500 Gallon DNA Tank
    • Sauna
    • And last but not least, room for Kalea!