Gone fishing to UK

HI guys.

Well after seeing how clever you are in finding my whereabouts, ( or how bad I am at giving disorienting hints:D) here you have what I've been doing in UK.

I went to Chris Pye's place to get some carving training, and I must admit that despite the projects I made there seemed simple, they are not. I've improved my technique and I've learnt several new things.
I guess that all my carvings will benefit from that and the first one to do it will be Rennie's dove:).

I had been saving money to do it for quite a while but I think that it's been worth the effort.

Anyway, to make things short, before going there I made these two fish in low and high relief on my own.
UK02.jpgUK01.jpg
Then when I was there he made me to make them again, wich I was reluctant to, but here are the results judge by yourselves.
UK04.jpgUK05.jpg

And here are some pics of the town, I'm afraid not many because I took them at dusk on a cloudy day. The last ones are from the town's castle and home of the man who proclaimed himself King of Hay-on-Wye.
UK11.jpgUK10.jpgUK09.jpgUK14.jpgUK16.jpgUK17.jpg

lookun great toni i can see that you have gotten better and you were already great in my eyes! so where does that put you now:huh: i quess we will just call you "toni the tiger" and we all can remeber what you used to say in the ceral ads theyRe GREAAAAAT!:thumb:

Tony, I like the second series of fish better. It seems that the class was beneficial. It must have been a great opportunity to get instruction from someone like Chris Pye and drink all that good beer.

We in the states have the same opportunity (except the beer) as Pye will be teaching two classes at Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine. The classes are Relief Carving June 22-26 and Intermediate/Advanced Carving June 29-July 10. Someday, I will get up there to take some classes. I would like to meet and get some instruction from Peter Korn. I would also like to start carving, but that is going to have to wait.

Tony, maybe you can make one of the classes. Not sure when the Tour DeWood 2009 is taking place, but I am sure you could get Larry to change the itinerary so he could swing by and see you.

Last edited:
Hi Toni

Good to see you back safe and sound. I am no judge of carvings and I think all four look great. But the ones you made in the UK look cleaner in their carving. They stand out better. However the other two fishes look at home in water so I am not sure its fair to compare these as before and after. One thing for sure you have a better profile and raise the fish off the board a lot better on the UK set. So the item you are carving pops out better. Which gives it a much better 3D effect. But it looks more like it was carved on a 3d carver than by hand. I have to admit knowing nothing about carving so this is just absolutely layman opinion.:huh:

Good to see you Toni :wave: Sure looks and sounds like a good time doing what you do so well. I remember the first carving of yours that I saw, your drape table :eek: I thought it was a mockup, then found out that it was a carving, WOW. Now with more training, tools from your mentor, well we will just have to see whats to come. I like all of the fish carvings by the way!

Tom

Tony, maybe you can make one of the classes. Not sure when the Tour DeWood 2009 is taking place, but I am sure you could get Larry to change the itinerary so he could swing by and see you.

¿¿¿¿???? Hi Bill, I'm not sure if I understand you, do you mean me taking the classes as student or giving them as a teacher? if it is the second I think it will have to wait a bit:)

Hi Toni

Good to see you back safe and sound. I am no judge of carvings and I think all four look great. But the ones you made in the UK look cleaner in their carving. They stand out better. However the other two fishes look at home in water so I am not sure its fair to compare these as before and after. One thing for sure you have a better profile and raise the fish off the board a lot better on the UK set. So the item you are carving pops out better. Which gives it a much better 3D effect. But it looks more like it was carved on a 3d carver than by hand. I have to admit knowing nothing about carving so this is just absolutely layman opinion.:huh:

Well Rob, you're right that is what actually I've learned, basically to work clean along as I carve, and to define shapes in a more crisp way, among other things. The UK fish look a bit artificial because there is no background on them while on the other there is, and that helps a lot.
Thanks for your comments and thanks to the rest of you for them as well.

when you get the dove rennie, its gonna be droppin feathers or layun eggs it will look so real:thumb::D

Well Larry, if that happened it would be quite embarrasing for Rennie. Just imagine someone is having their child baptised and the dove lays an egg.

I do not want to imagine all the possible consequences:eek::eek::eek:

you are certainly talented toni. I see nothing but 4 beautiful carvings, no reason Id have to compare any of them. If I was purchasing one, I find them all top notch. (my opinion only)

Toni,

I kind of get why he had you go through them again. Though when I did my carving classes with one of the local groups, they just kept telling me "take more wood off". The first look good, but very shallow compared to the second set. Looks like he let you finish to where you felt they looked good, then had you do the second ones to show you the difference of what "taking more wood off" looked like.

Also, enjoyed the other pics. I've gotten into photography lately. So I've been spending a little time on some photography sites looking at other parts of the world, you've got a good eye for composition.

BTW...those cars are on the wrong side of the road in the first pic.:D

Last edited: