Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Stand - Feedback?

Guitar Stand - Feedback?

I've got a problem. Too many guitars, not enough stands, or wallspace, or room. I've started to do some recording and I'd like to have my collection available to suit my creative whims, so I'm thinking of slapping together a quick guitar stand. I've seen similar ones made out of pipes and tubes, but I've got a pile of birch plywood I bought that's begging to be used on something.

So I'm thinking of making the sides of birch ply, and the stretchers out of pine, or mayby poplar or oak.

This thing is meant to be put together with screws so that it can be dis-assembled if need be.

Since the screws are going into end grain, I'll probably put some cross-dowels for the screws to get some bite.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by Brent Dowell; 01-25-2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

A little padding at the contact points and I'd say you're good to go. A buddy of mine uses the larger padded "Y" shaped hooks you get at the BORG and alternates height along the wall (into studs) so its kinda neck-body-neck-body-etc. He comfortably gets two rows (alternating high and low) with room to lean whatever he's using against the lower portion of the wall. Just an idea.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks Glenn,

I wish I had wall space. For some reason, in this house, wall space is in short supply. Yeah, I figure I'll get some of that tubular pipe insulation and cover it in felt for the contact points on the bottom and top. The little brackets on the top will be tuned for a 'friction fit' to keep things from flopping side to side.

I love the way guitars look as wall decorations, but my office area is covered in doors, windows, fireplace, and other stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A little padding at the contact points and I'd say you're good to go. A buddy of mine uses the larger padded "Y" shaped hooks you get at the BORG and alternates height along the wall (into studs) so its kinda neck-body-neck-body-etc. He comfortably gets two rows (alternating high and low) with room to lean whatever he's using against the lower portion of the wall. Just an idea.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Where are the cases?

I have a buddy with umpteen guitars. He has them lined up -- in their cases -- in the closet in their spare room, like books in a bookcase. Works for him.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Have you double checked your tilt angle against your widest and tallest guitars to make sure they wont touch the wall at the body or headstock with your proposed layout? I had a buddy with a sort of similar 3 bay type wall stand that couldn't put a taller elec. bass in it due to hitting the peghead on the wall and his biggest acoustic just missed the wall by maybe 1/4" down below.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Where are the cases?

I have a buddy with umpteen guitars. He has them lined up -- in their cases -- in the closet in their spare room, like books in a bookcase. Works for him.
    I've got most of mine in cases lined up against the wall (closet's full of other stuff), but I like to keep 2 or 3 out on stands to satisfy the whim to just pick one up and play on the spot. So I can understand where Brent's coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Have you double checked your tilt angle against your widest and tallest guitars to make sure they wont touch the wall at the body or headstock with your proposed layout? I had a buddy with a sort of similar 3 bay type wall stand that couldn't put a taller elec. bass in it due to hitting the peghead on the wall and his biggest acoustic just missed the wall by maybe 1/4" down below.
    This. I've seen the same problem in other peoples' setups. Just double check your dimensions, and it should work, though.

My other concern is storing the guitars with sideways pressure on the necks. Probably not a problem, since there are a lot of people who store their guitars that way, but it's always been one of my personal buttons. (I also always face a guitar towards the wall if I'm leaning the guitar against it...here again, my own little habit.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Excellent Feedback.

The tilt angle I believe is shallow enough to not put much pressure on the necks. I figure if there's a guitar that doesn't want to do the "lean", I might rig up a little velcro strap to keep it in place.

Most of my guitars are not exactly super duper high quality collectors items, so I don't feel bad about not keeping them in cases. If they were truly expensive, keeping them in the cases would be the #1 way to go.

But, I'm a hack player, and like having a variety of things to hack around on.

My Guitars are:
    Ovation 6 string Acoustic/Electric
    Gibson S1
    Student Quality Banjo
    Ibanez Bass Guitar
    Agile 12 string Acoustic Electric
    An Old Epiphone Acoustic
    and A couple of Classicals
    A Martin Travel 6 string
    A home made Travel Classical of my own design
    A slapped together Mandolin Kit
    A cheesy Ukulele.

I do have plans for making in the future:
    A one of a kind Electric, but probably Stratocaster'ish in nature
    A tenor Ukulele

Not all of these will be out at the same time, but I'd like to have room for 6 or so instruments.

I've got very eclectic taste in music. It's hard for me to find a type of music I don't like.

Well, I might not like rap, but I don't consider that to be music

Lately, I've been more interested in the blues/rock/bluegrass mashed up stuff....

Thanks Guys, I think I'll give this a try tomorrow. Probably a half sheet of ply and a few stretchers and I'll know how it works. Cheap enough to be able to redo later, if required.

This is probably more elaborate that your looking for, but it's not too difficult of project. I have a glass top in this one but I've made a couple since for people, with a solid wood top, which I actually liked better. Used rubberized tool hangars for the neck rest, and contoured some close-celled foam for the bottom (covered with soft upholstry fabric)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar Case2.jpg  

Wowzers! That kind of case would make we want to buy the expensive guitars

I like the way it looks, and it would keep the dust off them. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    This is probably more elaborate that your looking for, but it's not too difficult of project. I have a glass top in this one but I've made a couple since for people, with a solid wood top, which I actually liked better. Used rubberized tool hangars for the neck rest, and contoured some close-celled foam for the bottom (covered with soft upholstry fabric)

I'd forgotten about your cabinet, Barry. It's still impressive. I should add one to my "one of these days" list.

Brent, the Velcro straps to secure the necks sounds like it would be a great idea. I'm using conventional stands, but I hold the guitars in place with snorkel keepers from a scuba shop. Between dogs and earthquakes, I'm leery of having one fall off the stand.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com