After nearly 20 years...

Ned Bulken

I just received an email:
Hello Edward,

We have found the class ring of a person with the initials of EJB from SUNY-Potsdam, Class of 1988, with a Pyschology degree and a member of Phi Chi Epsilon fraternity. We contacted SUNY-Potsdam and they think we are looking for an Edward J. Bulken. Could you please let us know if this is or is not you? We would like to return the ring to it's rightful owner. Thank you so much.

Sincerely

Now this is pretty darned amazing, I lost that ring at a fraternity house somewhere in Missouri, so long ago that I'm hard pressed to say where or when exactly, and I only know it was missouri because I tracked the person's email to their ISP and googled the chamber of commerce from that site.

I replied that yes it was mine, gave them my mailing address. I can't wait to hear where it was found.

We just never know where you'll be turning up next Ned. I'm going to start looking for the "Ned Was Here" drawings around town.:D

Cool story. Now, did they track you down to return the ring - or is there a surprise in store? We all know how wild those frat parties could get.:eek:

Wes

well, they probalby still called it that some of the time when I was there, but no, I was 'Mr Picture Man' or 'the Photo Guy' and the company I worked for made these...
attachment.php

Attachments

• p2comp.jpg
    p2comp.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 160
I hate to be the bad guy here, but Id be a bit upset if my college handed out any information on me to someone that told them they found something they believe is mine, or gave a set of initials. What happen to the privacy laws?
You will never know the real pain of identity theft until it has happenned to you, and ruined a few years of your life.(people phish for info anywhere anyone is willing to give it out)
Id step carefully Ned, but thats me.

I sure wish that someone would find my class ring, but I suspect that the person who stole it is probably wearing it - or had it melted down or sold for the gold content. (Sob)

Be careful with loosing rings, there is a very funny spanish movie called "Airbag" that goes around a lost ring:rofl::rofl:

BTW that's a great story, I think that you should post a pic of it.

Allen,

They wouldn't need to get into educational records, so it wouldn't be covered by FERPA. This is more in the realm of alumni directory information, and you'd be surprised how much people allow to be shared... name, degree, date of graduation... some alumni even want contact info shared out...

Thanks,

Bill

Hope it isn't delivered by your long lost son!
And here we were giving you a hard time about the length of time it took to get your shop roof on, why didn't you tell us you were still looking for your class ring!!!!!!!!??????????:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Update,
I heard back from the lady who contacted me,
Your ring was found in a small box of assorted miscellaneous "stuff" left behind after a home was vacated and then resold in Louisville, Kentucky. My handicapped son found it and let me assume the responsibility of trying to find its owner. My daughter and I contacted your college alumni office and then we "sleuthed" from there via the internet. We are so glad to have found you at last....a class ring is an important reminder of a significant right of passage for young people. Although I am a grandmother now, my ring is still valuable to me.
I'll know more when the ring arrives, but it sure sounds like someone just doing the right thing to me. Obviously I hope that I get a return address and plan on making something, pens, a bowl, etc...

Ned, see if you can find the handicap, might be you can turn something that will entertain/teach him some eye hand coordination or he might need a large pen to be able to grasp to write, there are a host of things, and you are a good man for already making the plans to send something on!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb: