Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to the Darkside

Going to the Darkside

The other night I cut up some of that cherry I picked up last summer.. and cut off a couple of small pieces to try out the chuck. I drilled a hole, used the screw chuck and was roughing it out. I had a couple of catches, and stopped turning on it, about the same time the winds picked up on Friday night.

nothing special about the piece, except look at what happened over the next two days...

-Ned

oh the joys of turning green timber
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Keep turning. Call it art and double your price.

Fill it with coffee or stone that's a wheat color and you can have cherry cobbler
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Bummer. You can still probably fill the cracks and carry on if you want to.

If I have to leave a green piece on my lathe for any length of time, I leave it on the lathe, but mist it with water and wrap it tightly in a plastic grocery bag. The downside is that you can get spots of rust on your chuck if there are any dings in the chrome plating.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Bummer. You can still probably fill the cracks and carry on if you want to.

If I have to leave a green piece on my lathe for any length of time, I leave it on the lathe, but mist it with water and wrap it tightly in a plastic grocery bag. The downside is that you can get spots of rust on your chuck if there are any dings in the chrome plating.
    Looks pretty wet already. You can see drops of water in the bottom photo.

I'm guessing those drops on the outside didn't come from the inside of the wood. Condensation, maybe? The cracks sure look like typical drying cracks, and keeping it evenly moist might have prevented them. The trick is to not have one part dry out before the other parts can catch up. It can be soaking wet inside, but if the outside gets too dry, cracks can happen.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ned's new avatar:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ned - Luke.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	28222

Bummer

I guess you found out the hard way how quickly wet wood cracks if not sealed between turning sessions. Especially in this very dry winter weather. Fortunately the wood was free and there is more where that comes from. Good practice though. Keep working at it !
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Thumbs up You too!

It does crack fast, I had a maple 9" bowl I finished the outside. put the tennon on it. Turned it around and chucked it up to do the inside. Then I had to stop for the night. When out in the morning to finish ruffing it out , it had 3 radial cracks that went all the way across the piece. It is now a door stop. That was the last time I will ever start ruffing out a bowl and not finish it That is green. Oh well, live and learn. From then on I always finished the ruff out, put end Check on the outside. Wrap it in paper and let is sit till it is stable. I did have one in ten that has some small cracks there.

All God's best to yoiu and the family.

Joe