Blending oak, cherry, and apple?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Spent the whole day getting these three to blend together, turning out really nice. :thumb::D

Shop dog (Audrey) was more than willing to help out. :dunno:

Attachments

• DPP_pan_0003.jpg
    DPP_pan_0003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DPP_pan_0004.jpg
    DPP_pan_0004.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DPP_pan_0006.jpg
    DPP_pan_0006.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 249
The meat and dog look nice, but I want details on the smoker. :p Is the firebox electric?

It's a pellet cooker/smoker (see here). It can go from a cold start to about 800 degrees in 15 minutes and is a convection cooker, so can bake on it as well (smokey brownies anyone?).

Many of the bbq teams are moving to using them as they are easy to control and very consistent in they way the cook. There is a wide variety of pellets for them (hickory, oak, cherry, pear, apple, etc...even garlic and onion).

Vaughn, here is a link to the one we have. It is not just a smoker, but also a barbecue. www.traegergrills.com Traeger Grills are made in Oregon.

This is the model we have, the Lil Tex. Larry should recognize it because we cooked his meal on this. These burn wood pellets similar to pellet stoves. My wife loves this thing.

Darren, where is the chimney on your model?

No chimney, it's a Lousiana Grill/Smoker which has several 1" holes spaced evenly across the back to keep the venting even and temp consistent across the grid. Do you have the digital controller on yours? They've come out with a new digital for mine. I built the website for the guy that got mine from in trade for the smoker. He's needing some updates done, so looks like that new digital control will be showing up here soon. :D

You ate the dog? :eek:
Tastes like chicken! :rofl:

Darren, your only 3hrs south of me and you have no snow on the ground! :eek::(...we just got 4" on top of the 8-9 that was on the ground and more on the way....I can't even see my grill, it's buried in snow!!

That looks tasty and makes me want to dig the grill out.

Darren, your only 3hrs south of me and you have no snow on the ground! :eek::(...we just got 4" on top of the 8-9 that was on the ground and more on the way....I can't even see my grill, it's buried in snow!!

That looks tasty and makes me want to dig the grill out.

Sounds like we'll be getting some today through tomorrow, expecting about 4".

What is nice about the pellet grill/smoker is that I can load it up and walk away for several hours before I have to check on much of anything. As long as it sounds like a slot machine dropping coins every few seconds, all is well.

Thats a lot of meat. :eek: How many people at the party to eat that?

Actually, we only ate one of the pork tenderloins last night for Sunday dinner. The rest was sliced up into meal sized portions, vacuumed sealed, and frozen.

I use the Food Saver bags for freezing. These work well for reheating as you leave the bag sealed. I just boil the contents in the sealed bag for about 30 minutes, slice it open, and it tastes like it just came off the smoker.

No chimney, it's a Lousiana Grill/Smoker which has several 1" holes spaced evenly across the back to keep the venting even and temp consistent across the grid. Do you have the digital controller on yours? They've come out with a new digital for mine. I built the website for the guy that got mine from in trade for the smoker. He's needing some updates done, so looks like that new digital control will be showing up here soon. :D

No we did not bite on the digital control yet. So far just been using my stomach. The smell starts to penetrate my brain and the stomach starts growling, time to check. Works pretty good!