Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oval table top

Oval table top

Well the wife wants a oval table that is 72" L x 36" w and exspands to around 96" or so. Now this has me stumped as to how the heck the would work. If you strech out a oval it will change shape and the extensions will not fit proper. Looking for ideas on how to do this. My idea was to make it like a oval when closed, but when stretched it will look more lick a pickle has the wife said. And when asked what type of wood she wanted, she said what ever as long as it has a pretty look to it.

my advice is to make a paper or cardboard mock up of the top and show it to her. then hide...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

That sounds like a idea. Want something real funny? She asked if I good make it with one one small column under the middle to hold it up.

you had best get to the doc soon. if i had to bite my tongue that hard, i would need stitches...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Al, I wonder if you are thinking of an ellipse. An oval has straight sides and a circular radius at each end. Often an ellipse is called an oval but they really are different.

Here's an oval table:

And here's an elliptical table:

If she wants an elliptical extension table, make the sides of the extension(s) straight and put them in the middle.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

dave`s 100% correct (of course)........
    much easier to do your first single curvature project by incorporating straight sides. a pedestal base really isn`t that dificult even with extentions. holler if you decide to go any further with the idea.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks, She says elliptical table w/ two pedestals under it. Mow for the fun part trying to lay one out that looks good. I am going to the lumber yard tommrow and picking up a few sheets of hardboard for templates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    ...An oval has straight sides and a circular radius at each end. Often an ellipse is called an oval but they really are different...
    I was thinking the same thing, but looking it up, it seems to not be quite correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oval

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse

I always thought an oval was a pair of 180 radii connected by two equal straight sides, just like the oval table you showed a picture of.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hmm...then what do you call that shape of two semi circles joined by two parallel line segments?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Hmm...then what do you call that shape of two semi circles joined by two parallel line segments?
    I would argue Dave is correct in calling it an oval. If you look at the definition
    In technical drawing an oval (from Latin ovum, 'egg') is a figure constructed from two pairs of arcs, with two different radii (see image on the right). The arcs are joined at a point, in which lines tangential to both joining arcs lie on the same line, thus making the joint smooth. Any point of an oval belongs to an arc with a constant radius (shorter or longer), whereas in an ellipse the radius is continously changing.

The figure Dave suggests fits the definition, Two pairs of arcs, with two different radii. The second pair of arcs has a radius approaching infinity, resembling a straight line.

Man, I should have been a Lawyer!
    Tony

Tony, BCE '75