Small Parts Storage - Some More

glenn bradley

Funny how things work out. I'll be at Lowe's for something and I'll just pick up 'one more' of these Plano storage boxes. I gathered the hardware for my lumber rack the same way; an item on sale here, a 15% coupon there and eventually you have all the parts you need. The trick is knowing what you do need and how much you've picked up so far so you know when your done ;-)

LOML dropped off a load of the 7/16" PB they use to divide palletized loads in the trucks that deliver to her site. I had enough boxes and now had some free material so I made a gathering place (the three bay unit on top) to go with the two 'temporary' ones I made 'way longer than temporary' ago that now live on the shelf below. Now I can empty out the last of the coffee cans, jelly jars and so forth that hold my odd ball hardware.

storage-bins-(2).jpg

Paused to mount a hose reel while the glue set part way.

hose-reel.jpg

That reel was full with only 30 feet of rubber hose on it. I replaced it with 50 feet of Flexeel which is much more supple and it looks like it would take another 50 if I needed it.

That's my great accomplishment for the day . . . where's my broom?

Last edited:
Glenn looking good. I just bought my first flexsteel hose about 2 months ago. It has to be the best thing to come along since sliced bread! I wish I had that when I turned wrenches for a living. I got so tire tripping over the old stuff.... It just never laid flat on the floor. Good going on the organization:thumb:

glenn how do you know what is in all those plano boxes????you cant see in al of them? and they arent marked..

Parts are by type so I only need to see through the ends. #6 and smaller FHWS in one, #8 FHWS fill another, washer head in another, brass, trim and so on. If you had a small amount of a lot of different types of hardware this probably wouldn't be a good choice for a system.

Hi

Looks great! If there were barcodes on the shelves I'd have thought it was a shot of a hardware store.

I've been organising over the past several weeks, and while I might have thought your solution was "over the top" a few weeks ago, I can see the wisdom of it now. Even with all my screws, etc in the same drawer (a major step forward), I still have to search for the size I need.

I'll have to give a look to those Plano boxes and/or build something (esp for the screws I have in bigger quantities).

Thanks for the idea.

I really like the compartmented plastic storage boxes. I label the front of the box and tape a compartment contents "tag" upside down at the bottom of each compartment. Usually I just cut off the item description from the bag or box and tape it under the contents. (I put them underneath because the boxes are mounted higher on the wall and getting them 'just right' on the box lid isn't easy.)

I also have a few Stanley Storage Boxes for specialty items like network/coax, electrical, and solderless connectors.

b530ee2e-2c0a-4c44-bb71-02ffa8159600_300.jpg

Funny how things work out. I'll be at Lowe's for something and I'll just pick up 'one more' of these Plano storage boxes....

Glenn,
What are the overall measurements of those Plano boxes? I've been looking for a similar box that HD used to sell. I have shelf niches already configured for them, but noe HD has discontinued them. My old ones aren't marked, but I'm pretty sure thay weren't Plano.

I've been organising over the past several weeks, and while I might have thought your solution was "over the top" a few weeks ago, I can see the wisdom of it now.

Been there, done that . . . that's how I got here ;-)

Glenn,
What are the overall measurements of those Plano boxes? I've been looking for a similar box that HD used to sell. I have shelf niches already configured for them, but noe HD has discontinued them. My old ones aren't marked, but I'm pretty sure thay weren't Plano.

These are from Lowe's and don't show up on Plano's website in this specific format which has frustrated me more than once. I use the same boxes to hold my router bits.

I'll measure when I get home and post the measurements here but they're about 9 x 14 x 1-3/4

Home for lunch; Actual size: Jim, since you say you already have niches, I'll give the actual outside dimensions including room for hinges and clasps: 14" x 9-3/8" x 1-7/8".

Last edited:
Not All Lowe's Have Them. If first you don't succeed, give up---No No That's try another store.

I looked at many stores (Sears, HD, Craft places, etc. and even other Lowe's) however, the cases Glenn has are by far the best quality and most versatile. I also store my router bits in them.

Enjoy,

Jim

I see Glenn has been using my computer again. This is really from the old man---his dad, Jim Bradley

So Enjoy again.

I bought a bunch of boxes to store my consumables (screws, bolt, nuts, etc.) but I wanted six compartment boxes. I found this manufacturer ( www.flambeaucases.com/compbxs/6compt_bxs.html ) and looked over all the boxes they had. I found what I wanted (I chose the T806, 3rd from the bottom) and then googled Flambeau and the model number. I got several hits and went with MCM. www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-4442. I thought the price was very good.

Flambeau makes a lot of different styles of boxes. I would believe that you could find what you want.