Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time to dry glue?

How much time to dry glue?

Last Friday I did some Lamenting about how wise I was by not dryfitting dowel joints... http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=12710 on the Off topic forum. Blowing off steam on my stupidity...

Well, this is Monday and I redrilled the dowel holes although just a tad off center of the "now Dried" dowels that I sawed off. To my amazement, the drill bit came out with sticky chips in its flutes. Hmmmm
    How long does it take those joints to dry?

I know there are several who whiz through projects leaving them in clamps a half hour and then processing onward. Are you not taking a chance on future failure? "Norm" clamps it up, shoots a brad to "hold it till it dries", and removes the clamps (I saw him do and say that on TV this week)

Back in the dark ages when teaching in school the hour long classes created a situation where work was done and sat overnight so the student could resume the next day. Never really thought of the drying time.

Three days in a joint and still tacky makes me want to reconsider glue-ups. Don't say it was old or cold glue as it was fresh (about a month old) and in my heated basement shop. Too much glue in the hole, Nope as I brush on a thin layer much like painting and the dowels were snug in the hole (reason for first posting problem )

Anybody know the drying time needed for full strengh joints, Bottle says 30 minutes, Blah Blah Blah, etc. BUT ?????
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 01-26-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Three days under the conditions you state, I would have to say you got a bad batch of glue, because it is not matching my experience or I suspect yours until now.

Three days? What kind of glue are you using?

I've heard of long open times, but geez...

Thanks,

Bill

+1 on Bill's response. How old is your glue? TB I and II last about a year for me. This will shorten if you leave 3" of glue in the bottom of a gallon jug with all that air inside. . . DAMHIKT. Franklin states that even after seperation (layering) of the glue occurs; if it can be blended by shaking the container, it is OK. I found a different result with my seperated glue ;-(

I also found that buying a gallon to "save money" is a false economy at my consumption rate.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Heat will quickly soften PVA glues. I recently rebuilt a child's rocking chair and had to remove the spindles that made up the back. A min in the microwave and they came right out, but the glue was sticky from the heating. Is it possible what you are experiencing is the glue softening from the heat of drilling?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Heat will quickly soften PVA glues. I recently rebuilt a child's rocking chair and had to remove the spindles that made up the back. A min in the microwave and they came right out, but the glue was sticky from the heating. Is it possible what you are experiencing is the glue softening from the heat of drilling?

Mike
    good answer grass hopper
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Mike, I was thinking about that as well. Perhaps that is what occured. After all I was tracing almost atop the old glue route as I was redrilling to better match my holes. But the drill was not that warm to the touch. As I said the glue was fairly new. and it was Titebond II

Just the same, I am going to re evaluate my clamping techniques and wait time.

TB II will not dry hard like regular TB it will alway be a little rubbery Orig Tb will dry hard thats what I use for my Street Organs the TB II will just cause to much creep for my needs.

Only use the II if you have a need for moisture conditions projects like cutting board or kitchen cabs and Bath vanity's etc.

Jay

There's probably not anything wrong with the glue. I've heard of people finding wet PVA glue in joints after YEARS. The glue gets encapsulated, gets no oxygen and never cures. Thats why some advocate epoxy for joints where there may be gaps/voids; no oxygen needed. as far as regular glue ups, it depends on the temp and humidity. Here in AZ yellow glue sets up almost as fast as super glue. I've clamped up pieces, couple minutes later realized i'd made a mistake and had to beat it apart with a hammer! Never had a good glue joint fail after clamping for 20 or 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post

Mike
    Now that makes sense .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke