Queen City grinder

Jeff Horton

Not exactly an old wood working machine but sure has lots of iron in it! I bought this for use in restoring the old machines. Going to put a wire brush on one side and probably a keep the buffing wheel on the other side.

grinder.jpg grinder2.jpg

It has a cast iron base which I love! Stability!! I am guessing it weighs in around 200 lbs? The two of us loaded it without any real problem, but no doubt it was heavy. I think when I get around to cleaning and repainting this one I am going to paint it a dark green. My shop needs some color in it and this thing looks like a dark green machine to me.

Motor is a 1 HP 1750 RPM. It's 3 phase but the good thing is it is 220/440 volt. That means I can probably pick up a 440v VFD off of Ebay cheap!

He tossed in a couple of other things. (Trying to clean out a garage I suspect) A Delta Homecraft 4" jointer. Not sure what I will do with this.
jointer.jpg

And this really cool old Craftsman air compressor. No idea if it is or can be made to work, but I am going to try. I can see it with the aluminum case polished up and that red repainted. Would make one cool looking compressor. If I can get it work I would be prefect to take to a car to air up a tire.

airc1.jpg airc2.jpg

It still has the Craftsman 1/3 hp motor on it too.

No Todd. Since I have most of the machines I want I will just find a VFD for it. Can't justify a phase converter unless I got a lot more 3 phase machines. Since this motor is a 220/440V and the 440 VFD's go a lot cheaper on EBay than the 220v. Should be able to pick one up really reasonable.

Thanks Don, will keep that one in mind. Thats is a good price on a new one.

I am watching on EBay for now, sometimes there are some good deals. Problem is right now people are spending Christmas money (thats why I am about to list some stuff too!) so prices are higher. But something will come along.