Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ice storm coming

ice storm coming

A severe ice storm has started. Roads are slick and it is only starting to build in much of Arkansas, Missouri and on east.
    We are forecast to have 1 1/4" by the a.m. and it will continue after that also.
    We are emergency prepared. Back-up heat, plenty of flashlights and candles, enough food for weeks and lots of bottled water.
    Also jugs of water for flushing the toilets since my generator will not operate our well.
    Y'all snuggle up and keep warm. We plan to.
    Oh, another emergency supply. Almost two cases of nice wine given to us as Christmas presents.
    If we lose electric, I'll crank up the generator and maybe get on line for a short while tomorrow.
    Cheers y'all.

Take care, we are to get the same storm. About 8" of snow for us.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Yeah, it's coming our way, too. Supposed to get 6~8 inches of snow by tomorrow night. We still have about half the last foot that we got, so the new stuff will really pile it up.

It was above freezing (34°) last Friday - for the first time in three weeks, and it isn't supposed to get up that high again in the forseeable future.

Now, tell me about 'global warming.'
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

There was chatter in various emails today from my coworkers in Missouri about the weather but I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. We are only forecast to get 1-2 inches, and not until tomorrow night. For once being further north is a GOOD thing.

Yep, we are with Jim. Hope the electricity doesn't go out. I can make the most of the day by going to the basement and turn. I blew a nice Cherry bowl tonight...and I'm ticked. I need that time tomorrow to get my confidence back.

Uh, nevermind. Overnight they upped the forecast for 3-6".

5-9" up here, but if things shift they're talking over a foot of snow... for a change it won't be lake effect. yippeee!
    -Ned

We didn't get hit as hard as just north of my house. We only got about 3/4" of ice. Right now the temp is hanging at 32 degrees and there is some melting going on. Forecast is for a lot more ice storm though. We kept our electric but about 2000 area homes are out. Hopefully nothing will require me to leave the house, I'm still in robe and fuzzy slippers and may stay that way all day. Picture isn't the best. Shot from the door of what I laughingly call an office.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rock ice.jpg  

2 to 4 inches of snow here in DC, to be covered with 1/4 inch of ice later. This San Diego boy is staying home!

But James keeps trying to drag me outside to throw snowballs!

Thanks,

Bill

We are in for a good storm ourselves....12-15 inches of snow. That is on top of the 2½ feet we got already!! I told my mom today that this year has been a funny year. Normally it "warms up to snow", as the cloud cover warms up the earth a bit, but this year its been lots of snow AND severe cold.

2008: 197½ inches of snowfall
    2009: -50º zero (f) no windchill factored in

I would sure like to have that guy that supposedly invented the internet come on up here and put a few pictures in his slide show of the radically warm weather we are having.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"