ice storm coming

Frank Fusco

A severe ice storm has started. Roads are slick and it is only starting to build in much of Arkansas, Missouri and on east.
We are forecast to have 1 1/4" by the a.m. and it will continue after that also.
We are emergency prepared. Back-up heat, plenty of flashlights and candles, enough food for weeks and lots of bottled water.
Also jugs of water for flushing the toilets since my generator will not operate our well.
Y'all snuggle up and keep warm. We plan to.
Oh, another emergency supply. Almost two cases of nice wine given to us as Christmas presents.
If we lose electric, I'll crank up the generator and maybe get on line for a short while tomorrow.
Cheers y'all.

Yeah, it's coming our way, too. Supposed to get 6~8 inches of snow by tomorrow night. We still have about half the last foot that we got, so the new stuff will really pile it up.

It was above freezing (34°) last Friday - for the first time in three weeks, and it isn't supposed to get up that high again in the forseeable future.

Now, tell me about 'global warming.' :(:(

There was chatter in various emails today from my coworkers in Missouri about the weather but I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. We are only forecast to get 1-2 inches, and not until tomorrow night. For once being further north is a GOOD thing.

Yep, we are with Jim. Hope the electricity doesn't go out. I can make the most of the day by going to the basement and turn. I blew a nice Cherry bowl tonight...and I'm ticked. I need that time tomorrow to get my confidence back.

We didn't get hit as hard as just north of my house. We only got about 3/4" of ice. Right now the temp is hanging at 32 degrees and there is some melting going on. Forecast is for a lot more ice storm though. We kept our electric but about 2000 area homes are out. Hopefully nothing will require me to leave the house, I'm still in robe and fuzzy slippers and may stay that way all day. Picture isn't the best. Shot from the door of what I laughingly call an office.

Attachments

• rock ice.jpg
    rock ice.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 50
2 to 4 inches of snow here in DC, to be covered with 1/4 inch of ice later. This San Diego boy is staying home!

But James keeps trying to drag me outside to throw snowballs! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

We are in for a good storm ourselves....12-15 inches of snow. That is on top of the 2½ feet we got already!! I told my mom today that this year has been a funny year. Normally it "warms up to snow", as the cloud cover warms up the earth a bit, but this year its been lots of snow AND severe cold.

2008: 197½ inches of snowfall
2009: -50º zero (f) no windchill factored in

I would sure like to have that guy that supposedly invented the internet come on up here and put a few pictures in his slide show of the radically warm weather we are having. :huh:

I would sure like to have that guy that supposedly invented the internet come on up here and put a few pictures in his slide show of the radically warm weather we are having. :huh:

Travis,

No matter what the popularizers say, climate change is just that: climate change. You may be interested in this study...

Or this one

In spite of that, it's clearly pretty cold out there. James was just throwing snowballs at me... ;)

There's nothing like playing snow soccer with a ball that says Brazil all over it... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Got plenty of groceries. Car and truck are both fully fuelled. Got.extra gas for the generator. And the plow is on the tractor.

Okay, I'm ready!

Got plenty of groceries. Car and truck are both fully fuelled. Got.extra gas for the generator. And the plow is on the tractor.

Okay, I'm ready!

Royal & Tony must have missed this thread, so I will help them out.

"Got plenty of cold drinks, new tube of sun tan lotion, beach umbrella positioned just right and the surf board is all waxed up."

Royal & Tony must have missed this thread, so I will help them out.

"Got plenty of cold drinks, new tube of sun tan lotion, beach umbrella positioned just right and the surf board is all waxed up."

:D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:I've been reading:rofl: But it was too darn cold this morning to type much!! It was 58* and that was in the house:eek::eek: and no thermostat to turn up:(:(.

It is windy and 72 now (10:36 AM) and have been out in the shop putting doors together. I just don't know how you guys can stand that much cold:eek::huh: These old bones couldn't do it anymore:p

I think its shifting from the south to the north. We're up to 6-8" now. And its not even here yet.

It'll probably bump up again for you soon. They just bumped ours up to 8~11".

The City here is really great about keeping the roads clear and salted. Now, if they could just keep the 'crazies' off the roads I might consider venturing out. Seems like every time it snows, half the drivers forget how to drive on it - like they don't remember that it just snowed last week... What's really bad is the first snow of the year!

For Vaughn and Glenn: Compare this to the first rain of the season in SoCal.

...For Vaughn and Glenn: Compare this to the first rain of the season in SoCal.
Or as I prefer to call it...Día de los idiotas. :p Living in and working northern New Mexico (where it does snow some), I also had plenty of experience with ignorant snow drivers. I particularly got a kick out of the people with 4x4s who had yet to figure out they may go faster than two-wheel drive vehicles, but they don't stop any better.

All you out there dealing with the weather...stay warm, dry and safe. ;)

Weather guessers flat missed this one. Got ice last night, rain all day, which froze on impact, 3-5 inches yet tonight. Can't beleive we still have lights. Spent all day in the shop, trying to figure out the best way to fire the wood stove. Also did some cleaning.