1st For 2009

Stuart Ablett

I had a bit of time today, between a few things..........

1st_09_bowl_2.jpg 1st_09_bowl_1.jpg 1st_09_bowl_3.jpg
Yet another bowl made from the "Keyaki" wood I have (Chinese Elm) that I got from the local Shinto Shrine.

The bowl is about 4" in diameter and maybe " tall. I did leave a bit of a foot on it, which is not my usual style :dunno:

The finish is just mineral oil, slathered on and then wiped off, as this bowl will be a daily use kind of thing.

It was really nice to clear the lathe off and make some dust :thumb: :wave:

I know the pics are not the best, but I did not have the time to set up the photo tent.

Cheers!

Very nice Stuart. I do like the simple-designed bowl, having several in my collection. I do admire the grain pattern of the Elm species and you have nicely accentuated it. Additionally I like the gentle upward curve of the lip. All in all well done!

I had a bit of time today, between a few things..........

Yet another bowl made from the "Keyaki" wood I have (Chinese Elm) that I got from the local Shinto Shrine.

The bowl is about 4" in diameter and maybe " tall. I did leave a bit of a foot on it, which is not my usual style :dunno:

Cheers!

I like the design.. kind of like a little saki bowl. I use this design a lot in my bowls. It's a nice clean & simple design.

Stu great looking bowl.:thumb: I'm hoping that come spring I'll be able to turn a few of similar size for my household. I'm still on that Oatmeal regimine and it sure would be nice to have a nice homemade bowl or two to have breakfast from each morning. (one per day for the pundits out there)

You're one ahead of me so far this year Stu. I started one last week...got the outside rough-turned and discovered it had a lot of punky areas inside, so I just abandoned it and let it crack. Life's too short to turn punky wood when I have a driveway full of other gree wood waiting to be turned.

Thanks guys :wave:

Sometimes simple is best :D

I do not have the SawStop yet, I'm in the process of arranging the shipping now, and you can bet there will be pics, heck, I might even break out the video camera for that one :thumb:

Cheers!