Attaching legs and structure strength

al, this is the quick version of what i was thinking about. hope it helps...
Dan, great minds think alike - yours is just a whole lot better at SU!:rofl:
Actually, I was thinking that the top piece could be narrower and simply be the stile extended to the legs. I like the bottom piece you show. Looks more than beefy enough to support the cabinet.:thumb:

my drawings arent so pretty, but I wanted to eliminate the rail and stile kind of look. I had put a long support under the cabinet, and had the same side supports attached to legs, Im still not thrilled with the overall look of what I had in mind. I appreciate the design graphics.....but I was going for more of a buffet style looking cabinet, with the way you have it set up, its leaning towards a table with cabinets underneath, like large coffee table.
Tough to express what Im exactly looking for. That was a nice design though.

reminds me of when i was thinking about the evil plant stand (see pic). it started out as an evil thought for how to use half lapping pairs of stretchers, that grew into an evil thought plan on paper. :D then i asked myself (as there was no one else around), how do i assemble this beast?:doh: it took a while, but after several dozen tries, and a year later (that part is true), it finally went together.

you mention that you were thinking more along the lines of a buffet, and i think the length is ok, but i would go a bit narrower, around 18-20". i checked in with my tape measure, and thought hmm, a bit taller. it started to remind me of the sofa table i had built for one of my coworkers (see pic). it turned out not too tall, but long and narrow, maybe that will give some ideas.

a thought on that would be to decrease (that's shrink, larrry) the height of the drawers, and lag bolt the case to the inside (front/back) of the legs, then add the face frame to the case. so many evil thoughts, so little time... :rofl:

Attachments

• plantstand.jpg
    plantstand.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
  • sst.jpg
    sst.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 18
as soon as I get my saw going and its warm enough, Im going to use some cheapo pine or cedar, even though its soft, and some junk plywood, and put together some legs and cabinet and add tons of weight to it to see if it will hold.
Otherwise, Ill have to build it basic, and listen to my wife, who says theres nothing wrong with basic(classic)

a thought on that would be to decrease (that's shrink, larrry) the height of the drawers, and lag bolt the case to the inside (front/back) of the legs, then add the face frame to the case. so many evil thoughts, so little time... :rofl:

ok dan your on the list for next year with that comment:rofl: and i can stop over to see the pen guy too that looks like santa claus on ship:D

here's a thought allen. keep the supports crosswise (that's left to right for some who think i'm gonna corner the coal market), only instead of 3" vertical, go horizontal with it, notch the inside corners for the doors and back. with even 1/2" plywood for the back, that would still be pretty stiff and keep from sagging.

Ive redrawn and refigured my original plans. I will use bottom supports(rails) to hold the heavy weight of the cabinet. I havent learned how to use any programs to draw it out, and my rough drawings are just too cruddy. If I run into any problems along the way, I will ask for help. I believe I designed it a bit above my woodworking skills and know how, but it will keep me busy for quite a while.
I will begin after I finish the little shot box Im currently working on, when I get my TS up and running.
Post 20 by Mr. Noren is how Ill use the bottom rails supports, but inset them a bit from front and back as will be the legs.
thankyou for the input.

Last edited:
don't feel bad allen, my sis in law nixed 4 perfectly good designs before finally settling on the one she did like. :bang:

i have one evil thought project for your perusal/opinion. i should have it done later today.

here's a more refined version of the quick idea. i tapered the legs a bit, chamfered the edges of the top and case top, and gave the bottom of the face frame a bit of cloud lift. my wife says it looks a bit japanese. that must have been a happy accident, as i wouldn't know japanese furniture if it bit me on the backside... :rofl:

Attachments

• al table 2.jpg
    al table 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 19
Dan,

Cool design. Not japanese, but definitely west coast: with that cloud lift, it's greene and greene meets krenov! ;) Just bow the legs in a little, and you're in business...

Thanks,

Bill

I had drawn the best I could do in somewhat 3 dimensional, to show my wife my ideas. Using 2 curved bottom rails set back 4 inches from front and rear of cabinet itself, the cabinet resting on top of it(flat on top, curved on bottom), and the legs themselves set 6 inches apart from cabinet with rails through them.
I knew from her attitude, whatever I think is best, she hated it.
I drew a box, with 4 legs, and 4 doors, she loved it.
I was about to ask Dan to etch a sketch a my drawing for me,cause I just cant grasp that program as of yet, or as close as he could, figuring Id impose on him, but I knew she didnt want it.
It was worth the shot, Im drawing the new cabinet, Ill be preparing the lumber soon I hope. Just wanna finish my current thing to clear off the table space.

feel free to ask allen, because, as i like to say, i suffer from an overabundance of creativity, and if it can help a fellow woodworker, so much the better. :thumb:

on a different note, try using reverse psychology on her, if you like a feature that you know she might not like, grouse about how difficult it would be to make, if she thinks you might not want to do it, you could get the green light... :D