Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Ax To Grind

An Ax To Grind

This guide published by the USDA Forest Service is an incredible resource for everything ax-related, from beginner to advanced (and it's free!). Filled with succinct and wise passages, clear photos and helpful diagrams, the book explains the in's and out's of felling, limbing, splitting, chopping, bucking, and hewing. Plus, no-nonsense tips on how to swing, grip, sharpen, maintain, select and purchase the right ax for the right job. The subtitle is right: practical.

An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual
    Bernie Weisgerber
    1999, 68 pages

Available from USDA Forest Service in HTML
    Also available from Clarke Green as a PDF
    Also available from the USDA Forest Service in PDF
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 01-30-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Update to an additional pdf download location.

Wow what a treasure chest of a book. Thanks Frank.
    cheers

Thanks Rob! As I am sure it is in Canada, our governments produce some things of great value, and as taxpayers, it is nice when we can directly benefit from them.

I stored a copy on my hard drive, ready when I am.

Thanks Frank, I downloaded and saved on my desktop. Might get a chance to look it over this weekend. Trying to get taxes in order so need something to bring me back to reality from time to time!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Thanks Frank. Just stored a copy in my virtual filecabinet!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

ok whats the deal here i cant seem to get the pdf link to work frank,,,you got me locked out on purpose? here is where your link takes me:
    http://scoutmaster.typepad.com/axegrind.pdf and then i get a 503 error on both a mac and pc at home
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, I saved a copy of the pdf, I can email it to you if needed.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ok whats the deal here i cant seem to get the pdf link to work frank,,,you got me locked out on purpose? here is where your link takes me:
    http://scoutmaster.typepad.com/axegrind.pdf and then i get a 503 error on both a mac and pc at home
    It ain't you Larry. Looks like that link is down. The HTML version works, though.

When we went to Albuquerque last Christmas, I took my Tormek along, since my dad had a few things he wanted me to sharpen on it. I had it set up in my brother-in-law's Man Cave (garage/smoking room), and sharpened his one and only chisel as well as a few things I'd brought along to sharpen for myself. He's got a wood stove in the Cave, and a 3/4 axe he uses to split small pieces of wood for the stove. I offered to sharpen it for him, but he was reluctant, saying he liked a dull axe better for splitting. This thing was so dull it wouldn't stick into the end of a 4" log without major whacking. Anyway, I talked him into letting me try, since I'd not sharpened an axe on the Tormek yet...told him if he didn't like it I'd dull it back up for him.

I did a quick sharpening job on it, and the difference was night and day. He tapped it on the end of a small log and was very surprised to see the axe go about 1/3 of the way into the log. One more tap and the log was split. He did this on a few more piece of wood, and reckoned I was right, and that a sharp axe, like any other cutting tool, was better off sharp than dull.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I added another link for the PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ... and reckoned I was right, and that a sharp axe, like any other cutting tool, was better off sharp than dull.
    And safer too.