Pattern cutting on the shaper?

Jeff Horton

I may have a need to make some repeat parts out of plywood. Frames for a kayak. I was thinking of pattern bits for the router. Then I got to thinking that this would be a good shaper project. Just need to pick up some rub collars.

But for some reason I am not really comfortable with this but I don't have any reason either. A lot of times when that inner voice speaks it's wise to listen. So what I am missing here?

you can overpower a router.......not a shaper!
for rough stuff like you`re talking about i`d use a bandsaw pattern follower.....if you need really clean edges then do a final cut with the shaper.
rub collars (ball bearing type) ian`t cheap!

Although it requires more concentration, cutting outside the line will also work on the bandsaw, as for the tracer bearing for the shaper, shaper is "Stronger" and will require less force than the Router. IMHO

i make my own pattern followers from scrap off the floor.....just cut a notch in the end of a board barely big enough for the blade and align the outside edges of the notch with the outside of the blades kerf.......
i know i`ve built a few and posted pics but maybe it was during the smc days?:eek:
if ya`ll need pics i`ll build another one.

Not seen one either Larry but going to look for one. I also need to cut out the insides so I can only do half the cut on the bandsaw. That is why I was thinking router or shaper.

Todd, I think you hit it. The shaper can snatch it from my hand and pull my hand in. I think that was what the little voice was saying.

With regard to shaper rub collars, I bought a few one time from Woodworkers Supply and had to return them...they spewed some kind of lubricant all over my workpiece. Couldn't correct that. To the credit of Woodworkers Supply they took them back no problem. This was a few years ago, so maybe they have corrected that problem. Ended up getting the rub collars from Grizzly and have had no problems with them. The sets they sell are Woodstock Int'l.

Cheers.