Close Enough? Woodworking isn't Engineering?

Frank Townend

I went to one of the 'better' lumber suppliers in my area this afternoon to get a 1 3/4" dowel as part of my pepper mill project. The 'boss' of the outfit said he'd turn one for me on a duplicating lathe; $20 for 3' of Red Oak. Twenty bucks is a bit much (to say the least) for 3' of dowel, but I felt I would get the most accurate dowel and make assembly of the mill a piece of cake. I count on have a very snug fit and would sand to a diameter that allowed the snug fit after glue up.

After cutting, he walks in with the dowel and I check for a nice snug fit in my 1 3/4" bored mill. Fit perfectly ... for about 1" on one end, the rest was tapered 1/8" to 1/4" too thin (in diameter).

Of course it didn't help when he said "close enough". He knocked $15 off the quoted price, but I said to him "there is nothing more expensive than a piece of wood you can't use".

Frank,

That kind of "good enough" attitude bugs me no end. One hears it from machinists all the time: "Close enough for woodworking!" One wonders what kind of woodworking they do... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Exactly Bill. If there is something that is going to put the USA in third through forth place in the world it is an attitude that "close enough" is "good enough".

Years ago I worked in an office that had a machinist who made multi-chambered sealable cases for our work out of blocks of aluminum. Because his boxes and our electronics were used for covert operations, they could end up who knows where in who knows what type of environment.

His workmanship was outstanding; using no CNC equipment, he would work to tolerances that would make your Great Grandfather proud.

My most favorite memory of Charlie (who went ashore in France on D-Day) was, after making several units, he would always say "They may not be right, but they are all the same."

RIP Charlie ~

woodworking isn't engineering

I have worked in many mach shops over the yr's,and I guess that was way back then cause if somebody made the statement then, close enough ,he was usually looking for a job elsewhere real soon.But those were the good ole days,where folks took pride in there work.Anyway I carried that philosophy with me all thru life ,no matter what I was making.If I can't do it right ,then I won't do it and if you do it for me,it better be right.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone's sentiment of people who try to cover a mediocre effort with a "good enough" response, when it is not. But sometimes in woodworking we carry our precision too far where it is not needed. I think the key is to provide the correct amount of precision where it is needed. There are many examples of beautiful antiques whose bottoms or backs are riven without any dressed surfacing, except where they show and are necessary at joints. There a many other examples in woodworking of where you need to be absolutely precise and square and where you do not. Someday I hope to practice this. Right now I am too anal-retentive .:)

But I think this guy is just covering up the fact that he screwed up making the dowel.

Thank you all for your comments.
A couple of points.

Chuck and Ken. You are both right on with the term "close enough for government work". It means some folks who don't have to take responsibility for they actions don't. It also shows a lack of understanding about the cost of bad work and work that meets no standards.

Bart. Good ending about fingers and saw blades, looks like a good idea for a shop sign.

Dan. Great saying, just like "anything worth doing is worth doing right". My Dad would always say; "Good, Better, Best. Never let it rest until all your goods are better, and all your betters, best.

Bill. I agree some woodworking tasks need lighter tolerances, if for no other reason than wood moves with time. I helped an Mechanical Engineer build an addition to his house. All cuts were within a 32th of an inch.

Larry. I can of course cut down larger dowels to 1 3/4", but consistency along the full length is more difficult at my skill level. My plan is to use a dowel cut to the same tolerances as the drill bit I used to bore the hole. That allows me to sand to a snug fit and then down to one that allows an epoxy glue up. By having a 'standard' dowel I am able to use a few inches in length for each mill insert. Too big doesn't fit and too small doesn't give me a nice tight joint where the mill halves meet.

In medicine, we don't have the option of good enough; it's either your best or it's not. There are many times...this week is one of them, that I come home and wonder if I did enough. I go out to the garage and make something and wonder the same. Practice doesn't make perfect, that's why we call it "practicing medicine" or making the same friggen' bowl 8 times. But with enough practice and the right heart, attitude, desire and will go beyond the ordinary...we can truly make people go "Wow". I for one, happen to think that the majority of the people on this board have never settled for ordinary or good enough.

Frank there are a lot of people out there I have run across that close is good enough. My granddad and dad always told me, "do the job right or don't do it at all." My grandmother always told me, "short cuts don't cut it."

In here, it happens the same, and sometimes even worse.

My parents always told me: if you do not strive for excellence in whatever you do, you'll never get near to it.

I can't stand someone doing things not to his highest standard, not because he can't do it better but for lazyness or lack of interest.

I often have this conversation with my 8 year old

Me: what does practice make?
son: perfect
Me: no son, perfect practice makes perfect!

I've coached high school football for 16 years and say this nearly every day at practice.

Do it right do it light, do it wrong do it long

Specific comments in a second.

These are the inserts I am talking about. They were bored and turned from some 2 1/2" X 6" dowels I purchased from eBay.

3240485731_44782dba57.jpg

Dimensions are:

(Left Insert) L 1 1/4", O.D. 1 23/32" - 1 47/64", I.D. 1 1/2"
(Right Insert) L 1 1/2", O.D. 1 23/32" - 1 47/64", I.D. 1"
(Mill (not show)) I.D. 1 3/4"

The mill mechanism lower body fits into the left insert, the upper body into the right insert.

OK, before you shoot me for the minor difference between 1 23/32" - 1 47/64" and 1 3/4", it just isn't a snug fit and it affects the alignment of the outside of the mill.

On to comments:

Chuck. Thank you! That might work, but hole saws are sized to leave a nominal sized hole in the stock, the "waste" is less than the saw size. For example, a 1 3/4" hole saw would leave a "plug" equal to 1 3/4" - the thickness of the blade. As for the 2" hole saw, it would do it, but... My reason for getting a 1 3/4" dowel is I can make lots of inserts at one time. I'd put it on the lathe, bore sections to the dimensions above and cut several inserts. The hole saw is a one-at-a-time operation.

Jim. Very true in medicine! There is little room for error and you can't "re-make" a patient you harmed. I also fully agree with you in saying "I for one, happen to think that the majority of the people on this board have never settled for ordinary or good enough."

Bernie and Toni and John. I was saying to my wife this morning it is nice that most of the comments I have gotten is folks memory of the parents or grand-parents or parents talking with their kids.

frank here is another idea,, to get precise dowels. what about haveing a blank fromthe wood you want turned to your dimension on a metal lathe.. that has power feed and they are used to dealing with tight tolerances..therefore gettin a long piece that is the RIGHT size to you.