skew chisels

ken werner

Bob Smalser posted a fine article on chisels a while back, which planted a seed in my head to recondition 2 vintage chisels into a pair of skews. So here's my pair, one is a Buck Bros., the other a James Swan. The handles are cherry, in the pattern of a Stanley 750, or our friends in Maine. The lower handle is a little to narrow. I am a poor turner, and just try to get by with a functional result.

Attachments

• 2 skew chisels small image.jpg
    2 skew chisels small image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
hey where are you readin stuff from Bob smalser again? havnt heard from him in years..he used to write in some mags abit and was on smc yrs ago. whoops nice recon on the chisels,, ok whats the reasoninf behnd the angled edges?

hey where are you readin stuff from Bob smalser again? havnt heard from him in years..he used to write in some mags abit and was on smc yrs ago. whoops nice recon on the chisels,, ok whats the reasoninf behnd the angled edges?

If it isn't a violation of the COC:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13734

If it is a violation, my apologies.

The skew lets you get into places like half dovetails, and other spots where a square chisel end doesn't reach. Like alot of tools, not a necessity, but sure nice when you want it.

Those look nice, Ken. Having used my new (to me) skew chisel a bit the past few evenings, I can see the value of having a pair with opposing angles.

And just so you know, there's no problem posting links to other forums here. Our opinion is that if it's information our members can use, there's no need to worry about what site it's on. :thumb: Some of us are no longer members there, so we can't see the pictures if they're hosted by SMC, but the link is not a violation. (And Bob's pics are hosted elsewhere, so they are visible even to non-members.)

Thanks Vaughn. The Buck Bros. with an old handle was the mate to yours, but I decided that I wanted a pair that matched better. Now that you have one skew, keep on the lookout for something similar and grind the other skew. That's what I did. Isn't hard. I can walk you through it, if you like.

Ken

Thanks Vaughn. The Buck Bros. with an old handle was the mate to yours, but I decided that I wanted a pair that matched better. Now that you have one skew, keep on the lookout for something similar and grind the other skew. That's what I did. Isn't hard. I can walk you through it, if you like.

Ken
Thanks, Ken. Yeah, I can already blame you for my browsing eBay looking for an old chisel that'd work as another skew. :p I'll just keep my eyes open...no rush by any means.