Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey...I don't Have Midget Sheep?

Hey...I don't Have Midget Sheep?

Yesterday that thought went through my head as I began to feed my sheep some hay and grain. As I went to open up the barn door and let the sheep out for the day, sure enough this midget sheep came from around back. Slowly it dawned on me that one of my Ewes had lambed out overnight. My first lamb!

I was expecting the arrival in another 3 weeks, but here it was and I was ill prepared. I did some scrambling around and got some stuff for it,but as usual nature takes care of itself.

Its a ewe lamb and she is very strong and doing quite well. I dipped her umbilical cord in iodine, cleaned her up a bit and made sure she was dry. I placed her and her mom in a smaller pen so the two can bond, as well as placing a heating pad in her pen so she would be warm in last nights -5º f temps. Today I got to tag her ear (#0001 of course) and dock her tail. Fun fun...

I was hoping for twins, but a healthy ewe lamb will work as well since she will continue to increase my flock from her off-spring next year.

(Sorry about the lack of pictures, but I had to shut down my website because of serious reasons and cannot add pictures without it).
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Good to hear that all is well, despite the missed opportunity to get up at 2:30 am and go hunting through brambles to find the momma ewe. Best of luck with everything!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Lambs are the only times sheep are cute Yesterday my wife and I went up to a potluck at the ranch I was working at last summer. They had about 13 lambs drop so far in the last 2-3 weeks. I thought a pair of twins had just been dropped but found out they were preemies! So tiny but doing good.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    We raised sheep when I was at home and it was fun to watch lambs when they were a week old or so. They would jump straight up and pounce around in the sunshine. We have sheared the heads of the mothers before lambing so they would go inside to lamb. I have not heard of using a heating pad. We used 150 watt heat lamp and hung it high enough so the mother couldn't touch it. We also had to bottle feed some when the mother wouldn't take the lamb or the mother died. Man can those lambs down a bottle fast. The part I hated was going out at bedtime to give a lamb a bottle.

Congratulations......daddy.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Congratulations......daddy.
    Ditto!

Does she look like her mom or you???
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Congratulations Travis. Hope you can get your website fixed. Lookforward to seeing pictures someday.
    cheers

No it won't be fixed anytime soon. I had to shut it down. Its a long story so you have a PM coming your way.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

travis, why don't you just attach images to the thread?
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    travis, why don't you just attach images to the thread?
    This.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com