Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I solved my chipped veneer problem

How I solved my chipped veneer problem

In my chancel furniture build thread I noted that I had gotten frustrated with chipping out of the veneer on my white oak plywood. I was getting clean cuts with the grain, and pretty good cuts across the grain where I could use the fence, but the angled cuts - that was another story. I surmised that I was not getting a rock solid guide through the blade and therefore was getting chip out. So, I started looking for a solution.

I mentioned the fix in the other thread, but a certain bearded moderator that travels a lot insisted I should expound on it.

The solution, for me - YMMV, was to clamp a straight edge along my line and use a bearing guided spiral router bit to clean up the cuts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Down Spiral.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	28384

After getting the two parallel edges perfect, I placed the frame on top of the ply to mark out my angled cuts. Then, I used the TS to get close to the line.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Initial clamp up.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	28386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The gap.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	28388

DISCLAIMER - On all the other pieces that required these cuts I started with the ply and built the frame around it - the easier way for sure. However, this needed to be done in reverse because of the compound angles in this particular part of the build. I'll post pictures of that in the other thread in a few days.

Then I clamp a strait edge along the line Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Along the line.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	28381
    Get everything clamped securly and do my routing

Name:	Guiide attached.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	28385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clamped and ready.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	28382

The result is a clean edge and a snug fit. I did have to go back and make a few more passes to sneak up on it, but it was worth it having the nice clean fit.

Name:	Clean edge.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	28383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No  gap.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	28387
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

rennie, i've always kept it a bit simpler, i just use blue painters tape where i'm going to be cutting.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

What a great tutorial Rennie, I'll add that to my list of how-tos. I've used the painter's tape as well, but still haven't gotten that clean of a cut.

Thanks!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    rennie, i've always kept it a bit simpler, i just use blue painters tape where i'm going to be cutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    What a great tutorial Rennie, I'll add that to my list of how-tos. I've used the painter's tape as well, but still haven't gotten that clean of a cut.

Thanks!
    The painter's tape trick did not work well for me. Most likely operator error.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

that could be, and i think that also i was using a 60 tooth blade. you didn't say what type of blade you were using.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    that could be, and i think that also i was using a 60 tooth blade. you didn't say what type of blade you were using.
    Forrest WWII

www.wrworkshop.com

Thanks rennie your paid up fer another year now i figured that if it worked for you others would like to see how you handled it.. and it can go in the tips and tutorial forum someday!! well done !
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Rennie, Your already done now so I'm a bit late, but I use a Freud LU80R010 for sheet goods. The cut is amazing and with a fresh ZCI there is no chip on cross cuts, even with super thin borg veneer. It also leaves glass smooth crosscuts on solid stock like rails and stiles. For cabinet work I wouldn't be without mine!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Rennie, Your already done now so I'm a bit late, but I use a Freud LU80R010 for sheet goods. The cut is amazing and with a fresh ZCI there is no chip on cross cuts, even with super thin borg veneer. It also leaves glass smooth crosscuts on solid stock like rails and stiles. For cabinet work I wouldn't be without mine!

Mike
    Hi Mike,

When I could guide along the fence I was getting good results with my WWII. I don't think my blade is the problem as I'm getting great cross cuts. It was the angled cuts I was having problems with. I tried using the miter gauge and a sled, but neither was giving me the control I needed to cut a true line. I believe that is where I was running into trouble.

Using the router gives me the control I needed.

www.wrworkshop.com

great job rennie, thanks for sharing. that joint looks stupendous

chris