I haven't been around much lately because of everyday work and I was finishing up a couple of projects. This project was the last one I did with my Sears contractors saw. I had that saw for 8 years and I was just getting fed up with having to adjust the fence for square each time I used it. So with a little bit of extra money I scraped together and with my wife's permission I got a new saw. I will post another thread about it in new tools today.
About this project, it is a Shaker wall clock based on a project in the Canadian Woodworking magazine. The issue was #48 June/July 2007. I followed the plan fairly closely except that I used walnut and walnut plywood instead of veneering a different species of wood for the bottom door. I didn't put the Shaker peg hole on the top either. To me it just makes the clock look a bit cheesey.
The top and bottom caps are 3/4" thick as well as the doors with 1/4" plwood for the panel in the bottom door. The sides and the shelf is 5/8" thick glued together dadoes and tongues (not sure if tongue is the right word). The clock stands almost 28.5" high and the body is 9.5" wide and 4" deep. I used rare earth magnets with CA glue recessed into the body of the clock and doors to keep the doors closed. The only screws used are to attach the plywood back.
The finish was just plain satin poly cut 50/50 with minerals spirits and wiped on. There are 6 coats. The clock face and the movement come from crafttime clockery and are reall easy to set up. The only thing I change are the batteries because the ones supplied with the clock are pretty cheap.
Hope you like it. This is my third Shaker style clock. I have built 2 based on the plan in Wood magazine and the next one I hope to build will be one from Popular woodworking.
I have finished the lecturn I was building for my church as well but I don't have any pictures because I don't have a digital camera and have to borrow one. The lecturn was done before I could borrow a camera.