Thread: New Router Bit

Bloomington MN USA

New Router Bit

Hi everyone: As I have mentioned befor I use a touge and groove method of constucting most ov my cabinets. Sommerfelds woodworking has offered a New bit. When making the stiles and rails, Instead of a cope and patern joint these doors are 45 at the corners and are morice and tendon for strength The new bit is a bit that puts a profile on the face of the stiles and rails. Now for the problem. That profile bit is 4" tall the stiles & rails are 3" wide .
    Now the fence on my router table is Only 3" tall. I want to bury the bit between the fences and bring the flush with the bearing for the finall pass.
    All I can thik of is to cut a couple pieces of MDF and fasten it to my existing fence so it will be tall enough.By cutting the MDF at about 5" high and 3/4" thick,I could just replace the bolts that hold my existing fence in place with some that are 3/4" longer. This should let me still burry the bit as to route safley. Any help would be appreciated.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Delton, Michigan
    sounds feasible ,,extending the existing fence by adding to the frt of it only higher.. be careful of that bit wanting to flex and causing you un-uniform molding. if you dont have a shoot or a power feeder to run the stock threw you will have a good chance of gettin dips and do"s.. the ideal way of dong that setup would be on a molder. and much safer.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!