Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found my fireplace!

I found my fireplace!

In the 11 years we've lived in this house I have cringed every time I walk in the front door because I hate our pink tile fireplace. I've been looking for just the right plan. This might be it! Look Here
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

That looks great, would be a great project. Just don't let your wife see the customer kitchen pic on that page too...I think I remember that is on your list too.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    That looks great, would be a great project. Just don't let your wife see the customer kitchen pic on that page too...I think I remember that is on your list too.
    I saw that! I wish I had about two months of vacation time saved up!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, maybe we need to start "The Ugliest Fireplace" thread. Mine is brick that has been painted baby blue!! If they had left it the natural color, it would have been beautiful. I'm at a loss as to what to do to ours except faux paint it to look like brick again. It has an insert that would keep me from tiling it, as I would never be able to get the insert out if a service need arose. LOML is totally against me sand blasting the brick. And there's no way any stripper is going to get all of the blue out of the pits and crevasses.
    Thanks for the picture. I'm afraid our's is too big to do that with as the fireplace stands just shy of 3' from the wall on both sides. I do want to build in some oak book cases on both sides. Would love to put a flat screen tv on the mantle, and get my stereo speakers flanking the fireplace for the rooms configuration for best bass response. But would have to figure out a way to get the heat from the fireplace away from the tv. I figure that I will be relegated to a separate surround sound for the tv from my stereo system.
    Anxious to see what you decide to do!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Rennie, that would be a great project to do. I'm so slow however my wife would kill me before I got it finished.

looks good to me rennie but you got a kitchen to do remeber!!

and jim ,,what about hitun the baby blue bricks with a sand blaster to get back to the brick color
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

only drawback i can think of larry is the incredible amount of dust that will be generated...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Hah! Must be some kind of synchronicity going on.

I've been doing some serious fireplace research lately as well.

Our 'fireplace' is an older, cheap zero clearance type fireplace where the masonary walls on the back of it are broken and the metal sides are warped and dented. We built one fire in it probably 2 years ago after we moved in and didn't trust it so haven't used it since.

Someone who lived in our house had a 'think' for picking up rocks in the desert and doing things with them. While I really enjoy the rock walls in back of the house, the home made fireplace in the den and the living room are nightmares.

Basically it's just random rocks put together with lots and lots of mortar. It some places there is more mortar than rocks.

So we are going to rip it out and replace it with a modern high efficiency wood burning fireplace. We are also going to move it from the middle of a wall, to a corner. In the process, I plan on turning the old fireplace alcove into built in entertainment center.

It's going to be fun project.

Like you, every time I walk in the room I just hate looking at it.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Larry, I would do that in a heartbeat, but there's one little sentence you missed in my post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    LOML is totally against me sand blasting the brick.
    And that my friend, is the end of the story. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Rennie, maybe we need to start "The Ugliest Fireplace" thread. .
    That's a thread I would jump on. Someone during "The Decade That Good Taste Forgot" put a 1960's fireplace in this old (1840's) house and we've been puzzling how to put it right for years.
    There might be something in your idea Rennie, if I could make it two-sided. Food for thought, thanks, and keep us posted if you proceed.
    Peter