I found my fireplace!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
In the 11 years we've lived in this house I have cringed every time I walk in the front door because I hate our pink tile fireplace. I've been looking for just the right plan. This might be it! :D Look Here

That looks great, would be a great project. Just don't let your wife see the customer kitchen pic on that page too...I think I remember that is on your list too.

Rennie, maybe we need to start "The Ugliest Fireplace" thread. Mine is brick that has been painted baby blue!! If they had left it the natural color, it would have been beautiful. I'm at a loss as to what to do to ours except faux paint it to look like brick again. It has an insert that would keep me from tiling it, as I would never be able to get the insert out if a service need arose. LOML is totally against me sand blasting the brick. :( And there's no way any stripper is going to get all of the blue out of the pits and crevasses.
Thanks for the picture. I'm afraid our's is too big to do that with as the fireplace stands just shy of 3' from the wall on both sides. I do want to build in some oak book cases on both sides. Would love to put a flat screen tv on the mantle, and get my stereo speakers flanking the fireplace for the rooms configuration for best bass response. But would have to figure out a way to get the heat from the fireplace away from the tv. I figure that I will be relegated to a separate surround sound for the tv from my stereo system.
Anxious to see what you decide to do!! Jim.

looks good to me rennie but you got a kitchen to do remeber!!:eek:

and jim ,,what about hitun the baby blue bricks with a sand blaster to get back to the brick color:huh:

Hah! Must be some kind of synchronicity going on.

I've been doing some serious fireplace research lately as well.

Our 'fireplace' is an older, cheap zero clearance type fireplace where the masonary walls on the back of it are broken and the metal sides are warped and dented. We built one fire in it probably 2 years ago after we moved in and didn't trust it so haven't used it since.

Someone who lived in our house had a 'think' for picking up rocks in the desert and doing things with them. While I really enjoy the rock walls in back of the house, the home made fireplace in the den and the living room are nightmares.

Basically it's just random rocks put together with lots and lots of mortar. It some places there is more mortar than rocks.

So we are going to rip it out and replace it with a modern high efficiency wood burning fireplace. We are also going to move it from the middle of a wall, to a corner. In the process, I plan on turning the old fireplace alcove into built in entertainment center.

It's going to be fun project.

Like you, every time I walk in the room I just hate looking at it.

Rennie, maybe we need to start "The Ugliest Fireplace" thread. .

That's a thread I would jump on. Someone during "The Decade That Good Taste Forgot" put a 1960's fireplace in this old (1840's) house and we've been puzzling how to put it right for years.
There might be something in your idea Rennie, if I could make it two-sided. Food for thought, thanks, and keep us posted if you proceed.
Peter

Wow, that's nice! It gets my vote - go Rennie GO!:thumb:

No fireplace to complain about. Though, it could use a little upgrade.;)

Wes

to cover painted brick first rake the joints,then install expanded metal over the brick using tapcons or lead anchors, float a drymix morter bed over the metal and cover with your choice of veneer. (stone, brick, tile)

PINK tiles

Ohhhh - you just gotta post a pic of that.

I love the magazine pic. What a project.

I just rebuilt my woodstove hearth last fall.
I still need to make a mantle for it.
That will my "my" summer project this year.

I do hope you show progress pics - I just love your work.