Tulipwood and Blackwood

Neal Addy

Thought I would try a bit taller pedestal on this one for a change. Sure made things interesting!

Tulipwood and Blackwood. Around 8-1/2" tall, sanded to 800. The HF is finished with Seal-A-Cell and buffified.

Comments and critiques welcome.

original.jpg

Last edited:
nice finish,, crystal clear:) actually transparent.// now that my eyes have cleared there is a magnificent HF standin there,, wow neal that is sharp the tulipewood really sets the finals off well..that had to be some real delicate turning to get them that small.

Last edited:
Neal,

That's beautiful. You said you used Seal-A-Cell on the tulipwood, and "Buffified" it. You got a real Buffifier? Where did you find that? I want one too.

What compound/s did you use? Or did you just dry buff that?

Seriously, That is one impressive piece of craftsmanship and beautiful wood.

I have yet to try any hollow forms. I'm having enough trouble getting bowls turned yet, and small ones at that. I'm gonna have to try one someday. Who knows, maybe something like this one.

Aloha, Tony

It's OK Neil. You just keep practicing, and sooner or later you'll get these things figured out.

:rofl:

Gorgeous stuff, Bud. :thumb:

What a beauty

What a wonderful looking piece, that should be in a gallery, or just in your home not for sale, I couldn't sell that one ! Keep up the magnificent work, sanded to 800 grit wow!!!:thumb: Later DB

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Tony, the HF was just Beall buffed with all three compounds. SAC is an oil- and urethane-based finish so it takes a buff very well on most woods.

I only used a shellac-based friction polish on the finial to pop the grain. I learned a long time ago to never use SAC on blackwood. The natural oils in the wood take forever to cure without other types of treatment.

Great piece Neal, the black finial etc. certainly act as an enhancement to the red veining in the body. As Pete and many others in the UK will tell you, I'm not into 'display' pieces but it does not stop me from recognising great workmanship when I see it.

As they say Finish, Finish and yet again Finish.:thumb:

I've heard of it as Pau Rosa (thanks Chas) It's certainly a beautiful wood and well used here.
Pete

Trouble is Pete like all general descriptions pau rosa is Portuguese for “rosewood" which in itself in the UK is often applied to many dense Red Woods which are considerably different to "Tulip Wood".

Now I wonder if there is any growing around here :rofl:

Yandles! take the bank manager with you though.