For over a YEAR now, my mom showed me some pictures out of a magazine of something she asked me if I could build for her. I said yes of course, and it took me this long to get my butt in gear and do it for her. Right when you enter our front door there is a little foyer area, or vestibule if you will, and directly to the right there is an area about 3' wide and 2' deep of empty space. She wanted a bench built there so you can sit and take your shoes off and what not, with 2 baskets underneath that could slide out and also wanted this thing to have a back to it with a shelf on top, being able to hang a mirror and maybe some coat hooks around it.
Made everything out of Poplar, AGAIN I KNOW! You guys are going to shoot me for painting all this wood! I can just feel it coming I'm sorry it wasn't my idea to paint this thing My mom wants it painted black but distressed with a cream color showing underneath. Don't know exactly how to do that. Maybe just paint it all cream first (or at least the areas to be distressed), then paint it all black, then sand the areas to be "distressed" revealing the cream underneath? We are going to take a trip together to a paint store and ask them how to go about it. I saw Norm Abrum do it once, but it was WAY more involved.
But anywho, I framed a little platform for the bottom and coverd it with 1/2" oak veneered plywood. I also used the plywood for the back. Had a whole sheet of the stuff for free... it was left over extra on a job I worked at The bench is 6/4 Poplar, 3 pieces glued and biscuit jointed together then scribed it to the wall, even though I covered it with little side rails ...probably didn't have to waste time on scribing then, but oh well. Don't have the mirror yet but she is going to pick one out. Angie and I picked out the baskets from a fabric store they were 50% off so it was a steal! Built the face frame from 4/4 then glued it all and Kreg-jigged it together... kind of how you would make a face frame for a cabinet I suppose. I used either wood glue or PL wherever possible and screwed and nailed wherever possible for extra strength. Wasn't worried about nail holes since it is getting painted, so I filled them all in with bondo. Which brings up another question I have but I'll post it in a different thread. Also the base moulding I used on the front of the "base" is different from the existing base in the room, but I wanted it to appear as sort of a seperate piece from the room, so I had to butt the existing base and scribe it to the new stuff. Well I realized I have been rambling on far too long now so I'll just get to the pictures. OH yeah one last thing, sorry Larry I know you told me I need to build something for myself now, but had promised this quite sometime ago, so NOW I might just have to make myself something Thanks for lookin' everyone.