Thread: Rockler DT jig question

Rockler DT jig question

Hello folks.

I've been away for a while now. Since December of '07 actually. This site has grown a bunch since my last visit.

My question regards the older BLUE version of this jig. A friend of mine , who used to be a member here , gave me one and I'm now just getting around to taking it out of the box and fiddling with it. I have the set-up template from Rockler to aid in the set up of my router and the fence on the jig.

Are there any tips or tricks I can use to make my set-up and use of this jig 'foolproof ' ?

Elliott

I have the Jet version of this jig & plan to use a 1/4" Black & Decker router I have setting on the shelf just set up & put back on the shelf exclusively for this jig. I figure I'll get a lot more use out of it if I don't have to go through the set up every time.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Hey Bart.

I've been debating getting on of those $91.60 PC 691 routers from Amazon.com to use exclusively with the jig. I've heard they can be a bit 'fiddly'( is that a word ? ) to set-up.

Been to the " Zone" lately ?

OC

Elliot, I've got the same Rockler jig, but I've only used it a little. When I did use it, I used one of my PC 690s (don't remember which base I used). It seemed like a workable combination to me. I think I played around for about a half hour with scraps to get things dialed in, then I wrote SAVE on the final test piece used it the next time I need to set things up. (Using the same thickness of wood.) I used it for two joints, and haven't had a need for it since. If I was making a lot of dovetails, I'd go with the dedicated router idea.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Cameron View Post
    Hey Bart.

I've been debating getting on of those $91.60 PC 691 routers from Amazon.com to use exclusively with the jig. I've heard they can be a bit 'fiddly'( is that a word ? ) to set-up.

OC
    Why not look for a good use 1/4" router wuth the trigger in the handle. Thats the way my B&D is set up. You could probable get one for quite a bit less then the PC its a great router I have the 3 base PC kit as well was the single base variable speed one. & plan to pick up another variable speed one.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart