Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me decide band saw and DC

help me decide band saw and DC

I have been eying the grizzly GO555 band saw and the griz 1092Z dust collector. my other options are the Jet jwbs140S and the DC1100
    the prices are
    GO555 $435.00 Jet JWBS14OS $475 local
    Shipping $76.50 shipping free
    Riser Block ~70 riser block about $90
    total 581.50 $615 (tax included)

Griz DC G1029Z $299.95 Jet DC1100 $334
    shipping $76.50 none

total $376.45 $364.06

another option is to take a road trip to springfield up to Grizzly and pick up items. I don't think the jet saw comes with a fence. I have been searching craigslist and have seen some deals but in the past nothing recently between OKC and Tulsa

Jim, price wise they are both close, so I would want to put my hands on each to take a look. I am assuming you have done that with the Jet. Woodcraft in Tulsa and OKC both carry Jet and they should be carrying Steel City (my Woodcraft is) which would be another option. Then I would drive to Grizzly to put your hands on them and decide which one to buy. Trust your own judgment. Both brands have their followers and I don't think you could go wrong picking either one.

I'll second Bill's advice (although I'd lean towards the G0555 myself). Both brands have satisfied owners, but if you can check out both in person, then you can decide which feels best to you. I think you'll be happy with either choice.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Just a thought, but I know the grizzly riser works on quite a few other models...it might work on the jet too? That would put the jet a little closer in price.

I also second the suggestion to taking a look at Steel City, last I saw they had some HUGE discounts at the Woodsmith Store. Take a look at their DC as well. Great customer service and good equipment from most everyone I've talked to.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I had a Jet 14 inch bandsaw (don't remember the model number) then I saw the G0555 which was obviously built in the same factory - same castings, same screw holes for accessories. But the Grizzly had better dust collection, a fence, a quick tension release, and other features.

Shortly after a friend was in my shop, saw the Jet, and said "that is my dream bandsaw. If you ever want to sell it, let me know." A week later I had the Grizzly, and he had the Jet for the price of a Grizzly (in those days the Jet was several hundred dollars more).

When I bought a 24 inch bandsaw, I kept the G0555. It is a great saw, in spite of it's low price.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Ditto what others said about the Grizzly G0555. I am completely happy with mine. It may be the best bs and value out there in it's price range.

If it were me, i'd also look at the Rikon. They've got a 14" saw with 12" resaw capacity that has lots of bells/whistles, has gotten very good reviews, and might fit the bill.
    As far as a DC goes, if you're looking for a portable machine instead of a cyclone, the best value for the dollar seems to be the Harbor Freight 2hp model. I usually cringe when anyone recommends HF equipment, but this one has gotten solid recommendations for several years running now, and you won't beat the price (i was just there the other day - $249 for the 2hp model). It goes on sale from time to time for even less. It's hard to find a machine simpler than the DC.
    paulh

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    The only reason I am leaning towards the 555 is that it comes with a fence. the Jet does not.
    Chuck, Grizzly is having a free shipping promo right now. Might be an incentive. Check it out.

i am pretty sure I will be going with the 555. The dust collector I stated above was a mistake from griz. I don't want a 220 DC I only have room in my shop breaker box for 1 220 and one 115 breaker or 3 115 without getting creative. the griz free shipping doesn't include anything I am looking at and I can drive to springfield and back for less than $160 they want for shipping. It looks like a road trip coming up in a week or two. do you think I could fit both in the back of my wifes mini van?

yup..on the mini van calthem up and ask buti am sure if you can get your back seat to go down your in like flynn...they are soon becoming the future pickup..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!