Votes: 24 39.3%
  • i work on many and finish some, with alot left partially done

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • i try to finish all open projects as soon as poossible

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi

I like to take a job from drawings to finished project. That's what I did when I first started this hobby eons ago. My focus was on making gifts for the most part. And that's how it worked during the years as an employee in cabinet shops.

Recently I'm concentrating on upgrading my shop and my handtool skills, and I'm taking things on as they occur to me. Example; I built a plywood cabinet to house some tools under my workbench. I was going to use lock-rabbet joints for the drawer boxes -- quick and easy tablesaw work.

Then I thought, why not dovetail them by hand? I put the cabinet project aside and started practising dovetails for the first time in a long time. This lead to a foray into sharpening fine saws, and now I'm actually making my own dovetail saw from scratch (expect to see this among the scrap pile projects).

I'm allowing myself to be very process oriented at this time, rather than being project oriented as I usually am. I'm enjoying the heck out of it and finding it totally absorbing.

The drawers will get built eventually, and they'll be better for the delay. And I'll have improved my knowledge and skills during the process.

And now I'm gonna go downstairs and get back at it :)

Last edited:
Hi

I like to take a job from drawings to finished project. That's what I did when I first started this hobby eons ago. My focus was on making gifts for the most part. And that's how it worked during the years as an employee in cabinet shops.

Recently I'm concentrating on upgrading my shop and my handtool skills, and I'm taking things on as they occur to me. Example; I built a plywood cabinet to house some tools under my workbench. I was going to use lock-rabbet joints for the drawer boxes -- quick and easy tablesaw work.

Then I thought, why not dovetail them by hand? I put the cabinet project aside and started practising dovetails for the first time in a long time. This lead to a foray into sharpening fine saws, and now I'm actually making my own dovetail saw from scratch (expect to see this among the scrap pile projects).

I'm allowing myself to be very process oriented at this time, rather than being project oriented as I usually am. I'm enjoying the heck out of it and finding it totally absorbing.

The drawers will get built eventually, and they'll be better for the delay. And I'll have improved my knowledge and skills during the process.

And now I'm gonna go downstairs and get back at it :)

well said ian,,and glad yu came back to the lizard for your avatar:thumb:, even if he is settin on a hot dog now:) i have some shop projects that are in the start stage but havnt finished them but each time i go over to get something from somewherre i rethink what i was going to do so the time lad is good and fafter awhile i wil have it down as to what i want it to be in the final stage

I depends on if we are talking about flat work or lathe work. It also depends on if you count planning for a new project or actually starting the project. I don't count planning a new project as actually working on a project.

For flat work, a few years ago, I would have been in the work on many, finish a few, and alot left incomplete. But in the last 2 years I have been working through the backlog of old incomplete projects. I'm now caught up so that I'm only working on 1 flat work project right now. I made this change for several reasons. First, I was running out of space in the shop to work on projects for the build up of incomplete projects. Second, I found that I had a difficult time remembering where I was on a project if it took a while to get back to it. And last, I discovered that many of may projects were getting shop rash from other projects or tools getting in too close of contact and causing damage.

Sometimes, I will take a break from the flat work project and do a lathe project. That may be rough turn a bowl or finish a rough turned bowl that has had enough time to dry.