New Cabinet

Don Orr

I imagine this is no big deal for many of you but for me it is a major first. Most of the time I do round stuff because I have always had a lot of trouble with straight and square. I have a decent shop full of good quality tools and have been reading and watching and learning for quite a while with the intention of making cabinets and furniture at some point. Well one of those points has arrived. I just completed my first real base cabinet. It’s nothing special to look at but it is solid and functional. It’s made with Borg Birch ply sides and back, oak face frame and drawer front, with some birch inner parts and various scraps. Pocket screw joinery, luaun door panel, Danish oil finish. The top is a maple cutting board that my FIL salvaged many years ago and I then salvaged from his house after he died. I turned 2 knobs last night but have yet to mount them. I put it on a mobile base and it will be the stand for my planer as you can see in the last photo. It measures 22” wide by about 22” deep. It should have been 24” deep, but I cut the sides wrong. That is not the only mistake, but I will not point out the rest. I definitely learned a lot with this project and look forward to using this lesson in the future.

Attachments

• Cabinet 1.jpg
    Cabinet 1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Cabinet 2.jpg
    Cabinet 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Cabinet 3.jpg
    Cabinet 3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
We never would have known about the depth issue if you hadn't pointed it out. Most people would never have known that it was "should have been 24" deep." Maybe the cabinet just wanted to be only 22" deep. :D

Nice looking cabinet!,

Looks real good from here, Don. :thumb: Looks like the reading, watching and learning paid off.

Must be the phase of the moon or something, but I'm another turner who's been doing only flatwork lately. I've only fired up the lathe once so far this year, and that was on a bowl blank that I gave up on after seeing how punky it was. The flat project will be over soon, and I'm looking forward to working in the round again. ;)

Thanks

I appreciate all the nice comments. And I only pointed out ONE of the mistakes:D.

The thread title should have been New Cabinet by the way.

I appreciate all the nice comments. And I only pointed out ONE of the mistakes:D.

The thread title should have been New Cabinet by the way.
Don, if you click "Edit" in your original post, then click "Go Advanced" in the next window that's displayed, you can edit the thread title. Let me know if you need any help.

good job don, and even better that your showing signs of recovery:thumb: we will be glad to offer you any assistance you need to a full recovery from that awfull turning disease:rofl: looks good don. and wait till you run a raised panel threw and find out that you put the bicuit to close to the edge.. and you see this odd void in solid wood:dunno: then you wake up..:rolleyes:

today a planer cabinet stand, tomorrow you might find yourself covering the lathe and starting a new piece of flatwork(ducking as the little spinny things come flying at me from all over)

Great job Don: Some times Its just neat to make stuff for your shop. CuZ you jest know you will get real good use out of it. Besides its way better than something you could just go out and buy. Keep up the good work:thumb::wave:

Very nice Don. :thumb: It's always great to make things that are useful in the shop and a learning experience at the same time. Now go make something else while all the little Boo Boos are fresh in your mind and I'll bet you'll see that it's easier to do than the last project.:D

PS: Keep in mind though that "Some" Mistakes just provide TOO many learning experiences to make ONLY Once.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: (That's MY Story, and I'm Stickin' to it).:D

Looks better then any in my shop. For a spinner you do good flat work. Now you can cover that lathe with ply and have a new assembly table.:D