Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Contest: Best Use of Scrap Wood (closed)

New Contest: Best Use of Scrap Wood (closed)

Best use of your scraps:
    Scrounge through your scrap pile and come up with an idea from the materials you have available.... only scraps may be used (other than fasteners).

Take a picture of your pile of materials (the scrap you have chosen to use)
    begin the construction and take another photo of the piece in process.
    Finish up and take a pic of the end product.

All construction methods are welcome. You must use at least 80% of the original pile you selected and can only add an additional 20% of stuff you realized would work better but wasn't included in the picture.... still has to be scrap though.

Turn around time is 3 weeks. You don't need to tell me if you are in, though you are welcome to post here if you like. Just be sure I have your pics by the deadline, February 26th, if you are interested in playing!

Email all photos to me, I will put them together and post them on February 27th (without names attached) in a thread with a poll for people to vote which they think is best.

Shipping or purchasing of materials will not be necessary for this contest.

There will be no limit on the number of entrants for this contest. The winner gets the satisfaction of their entry being voted best by their peers.
    Last edited by KaLea Thoits; 02-06-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: additional info added
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Smile

I wish you would have had this idea about a week and a half ago. I have had some walnut laying around that came out of a furniture shop years ago and decided to finally make some use of it. I am building essentially a library card file to hold all my nails, screws, nuts and bolts, etc, so I can get rid of the plastic bins. My dad thinks it is a travisty to use walnut for the shop though.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baron View Post
    I wish you would have had this idea about a week and a half ago. I have had some walnut laying around that came out of a furniture shop years ago and decided to finally make some use of it. I am building essentially a library card file to hold all my nails, screws, nuts and bolts, etc, so I can get rid of the plastic bins. My dad thinks it is a travisty to use walnut for the shop though.
    Don
    Better using it for the shop than tossing it in the wood stove?
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Are you going to have a category for turners and non-turners? Seems like those spinny folks are always doing things with "scrap" firewood...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Are you going to have a category for turners and non-turners? Seems like those spinny folks are always doing things with "scrap" firewood...
    Aww, he saw thorough our thinly-veiled ploy. Or is that a touch of envy I'm sensing?

For your information, we're forced to turn scrap, since we spent all the lumber money on turning tools.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    i agree art those spinny guys are doing just that, i think they should be made to use the scrap from the bowl and platers and make something,, ow they can use alot of glue though to hold the chips together.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Vaughn do you smell that. That's what fear smells like.
    Now THATS funny

So.........does the whole Yanagicho Aparto count as "Scraps"
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I don't understand.
    Wat is "scrap" wood?

I have a 2 x 0.20 x 0.05 meters scrap, I might do something out of it
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Almost everything I make ends up as scrap-does that count
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND