You have albums now!

Dewey Torres

All,
When you go to your user CP or click on someones name, you will now notice albums. This is where you can showcase all of this fine woodworking pics on you computer. You can also tell how many folks have viewed you profile at the bottom right. Part of the new upgrade!

To the MOD/ADMIN team... I think that uploaded pics are automatically re-sized for best presentation now too right?

Last edited:
All,
When you go to your user CP or click on someones name, you will now notice albums. This is where you can showcase all of this fine woodworking pics on you computer. You can also tell how many folks have viewed you profile at the bottom right. Part of the new upgrade!

To the MOD/ADMIN team... I think that uploaded pics are automatically re-sized for best presentation now too right?

I'll try a non-resized pic . . . . Nope,

Guides and rack 025.jpg:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 800 x 800. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3888 x 2592.

I guess you have to get a little closer to the desired size? Do we know what the threshold is? I could certainly setup my camera to make the originals smaller. It would be cool to be able to punch the pics in directly ;-)

I'll try a non-resized pic . . . . Nope,

Guides and rack 025.jpg:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 800 x 800. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3888 x 2592.

I guess you have to get a little closer to the desired size? Do we know what the threshold is? I could certainly setup my camera to make the originals smaller. It would be cool to be able to punch the pics in directly ;-)

Glenn, if the resizing function is only turned on right now for User Albums. If you are trying to attach a picture to your post, you'll still have to do it the old way, since we currently have resizing turned off for message attachments. (Resizing can be a pretty big CPU load to the server.)

I did see the max size threshold for the resizing function somewhere last night, but I can't remember where it was hidden in the Admin Control Panel. There are quite a few changes under the hood that we're trying to suss out. ;)

A question if I may.

The use of these albums is to store pics of our projects for instance?
So when posting a project we can just paste a link to the proper album if anyone wants to see the whole pics from the beginning?

A question if I may.

The use of these albums is to store pics of our projects for instance?
So when posting a project we can just paste a link to the proper album if anyone wants to see the whole pics from the beginning?

Yes Toni:
1) Go to your album and open up the pic thumbnail to largest size
2) Right click and click properties
3) Dialog box comes up then you copy the URL
4) Go back to the post you are trying to put the pic in and click on the icon with a mountain on it (insert image)
5) Paste the URL

Glenn, if the resizing function is only turned on right now for User Albums. If you are trying to attach a picture to your post, you'll still have to do it the old way, since we currently have resizing turned off for message attachments. (Resizing can be a pretty big CPU load to the server.)

I did see the max size threshold for the resizing function somewhere last night, but I can't remember where it was hidden in the Admin Control Panel. There are quite a few changes under the hood that we're trying to suss out. ;)

Thanks Vaughn. I was wondering what kind of machine we had that could take that kind of a dynamic load ;-). It sounds like we could put a lot of pics in the album area pretty easily and then plug them into to new posts as desired.

Isn't it great that memory and storage has gotten so cheap? I remember when a 10 meg hard drive was . . . Oh, never mind . .. uh, I actually don't even remember when drives were measured in megabytes . .. . nope, I'm not that old.

We're still looking into a few things regarding the albums. For one, we intend to make albums (and the pics in them) only visible to registered members. The primary reason for doing this is to prevent people on other sites from posting links to images that are hosted on our site. Otherwise, we end up incurring a lot of extra non-member traffic on our servers. This is much the same as requiring membership to be able to view attached pictures. It's not that we want to be exclusionary...it's because we don't want to host pictures for non-members. :)

...It sounds like we could put a lot of pics in the album area pretty easily and then plug them into to new posts as desired...
With a small caveat, though...currently the Member Album size limit is set to 600 x 600 pixels, but regular attached images can be 800 x 800. This won't be an issue once we change the album limits, but for right now the albums can't fit as big of pic as a regular post.

could somebody post an idiots drivers guide please?:eek:
Tod, in a nutshell, every member now has the ability to make their own photo album and store pics here. Click User CP in the upper left corner of any forum page, then click Pictures & Albums in the task pane on the left side. To see another member's photo album, click their user name and select the option to view their profile. If they have an album, it will show up there.

Larry,

Go to User CP
choose Pictures and Albums (under networking, about 7 lines down)
choose Add Album
Put in a title and description
click submit
choose Click here to upload pictures

you'll get a menu that looks very much like a regular pictures menu. Right now, you can only upload 3 at a time (maybe we can change that). You can have 60 pictures in an album, but right now they can't be bigger than 97.7 KB (maybe we can change that, as some of mine come out around 120). Also, we may be able to up the 600x600 size, as 800X600 is pretty standard. I don't know if we can (or should) change these settings, but this kind of issue is typical with any upgrade...

Thanks,

Bill