Lessons and tutoring for a beginer

I need a favor from the turning side of the family. I don't know the first thing about a lathe other than turn it on and off. I would like to know what is the best video to get that will start with the very basics of the machine (set up, speed, and use.) and into the "how to" of turning. For this old man I need it in simple terms with out any "assumptions" that I know something. I get watching some of that stuff on YouTube and get excited about learning but just don't know where to start. I don't want to end up smacked in the head with a tool or piece of wood!

Hey Larry. I won't get addicted. I can control the demon:D:rofl:

That's the thing about turning. We're willing to share and teach and even ask you over to try things out before you go and buy your own. I've known guys who would even let you try their's then give it to you if you liked it. They didn't, so you might as well have it and get some use out of it. And to answer your question, no, there is no escape from the Vortex. There is no controling it. Resistance is futile. :cool:

I need a favor from the turning side of the family. I don't know the first thing about a lathe other than turn it on and off. I would like to know what is the best video to get that will start with the very basics of the machine (set up, speed, and use.) and into the "how to" of turning. For this old man I need it in simple terms with out any "assumptions" that I know something. I get watching some of that stuff on YouTube and get excited about learning but just don't know where to start. I don't want to end up smacked in the head with a tool or piece of wood!

Hey Larry. I won't get addicted. I can control the demon:D:rofl:

royall,
what do you want to spin?
most folks get caught up in the artsy stuff and end up spending a gizzlion dollars in the quest for "cool".
others (like me:eek:), don`t have the time or energy to strive for art.....turning for me allows me to produce parts for marketable items.
so if folks know what skills you would like to learn and where you want to end up it would be easier to offer advice on techniques/videos/books etc.
( i taught myself back in the early 70`s on an old monkey-wards lathe with a washing machine motor and homemade tools)

Yep, Tod's question is a good one, what do you want to turn :D

Bernie's book recommondation, by Keith Rowley I'll second, it is very good :thumb:

I too like Bill's DVD for learning to turn bowls.

I'd also recommend getting the AAW sharpening video, well worth the money :wave:

Have to support the recommendation for Rowleys book.:thumb: I also got a lot out of the Raffan DVDs including a "lightbulb" moment about using skew chisels. It depends on what you intend to turn.

You are now on a veeeerry slippery slopy:eek:

Best Wishes

Mike

darkside-1.jpg

royall,
what do you want to spin?
most folks get caught up in the artsy stuff and end up spending a gizzlion dollars in the quest for "cool".
others (like me:eek:), don`t have the time or energy to strive for art.....turning for me allows me to produce parts for marketable items.
so if folks know what skills you would like to learn and where you want to end up it would be easier to offer advice on techniques/videos/books etc.
( i taught myself back in the early 70`s on an old monkey-wards lathe with a washing machine motor and homemade tools)

You ask the hard questions Tod.;) I don't know what I want to make. I figured I would work with the lathe trying different things and find out what style I find more fun or interesting. I've looked at all the different things posted in the turning forum here and find an interest in each. I'm pretty much like you as far as being self taught but my first interests were with flat projects. With lumber so expensive here I figured I could save some money by turning local wood found at construction sites before they bury it. I'm looking for more input on the lathe because I'm a little intimidated by it. I don't want to get slapped in the head for doing something wrong.:eek:

Royall, do you have a Woodcraft store on the island? If so, that was the first place I got the best education and started utilizing my lathe.

The only one I know of is in Honolulu, on Oahu. The closest thing to a tool store in Hilo is HPM (local hardware/lumber store) HD, and there is a Lowes on the other side of the island in Kailua, Kona. :(