Folding sheet goods cutting table

Tony Baideme

Hi gang,

I have spent enough time searching and not finding, so now I'm going to ask. Does anyone remember the thread or post on a foldable table, made with a smaller sheet of plywood and sone 2x4's that pivot, that could be used on a couple saw horses or a benchtop for cutting up sheet materials with a circular saw? Somebody made one that was really slick.

I know I have seen pictures of one, closed up for storage, opened up for use, and if I am right, even the procedure used to build the table.

I guess this could be called an "auxiliary table", but I am not sure what it was called by the maker.

I was thinking it was here in FWW, but then, I could have seen it elsewhere. If any of you know what I am talking about, please point me to it. I need to gt one together soon.

Thanks to this great group of people, for all the help you give, and for the fun in learning about all this good stuff.

Aloha, Tony

Hi Tony, The one I use in my shop isn't folding but can be knocked down for storage. It is just 2, 8'x2"x4" and 2, 4'x2"x4"'s held together with some notches cut in. they sit on my sawhorses and do fine for breaking down sheet goods. The photo isn't the best but if you're interested I'll take some better shots.

IMG_8196 (Small).jpg

Royall,

Here's the pictures I told you about. It looks like a nice table but it would cost me too much for what I need to do.

I think I like yours better, mostly for it's simplicity.

I'll be in touch later if I find anything else.

Thanks. Stay dry over there.

Aloha, Tony

Attachments

• cutting table 01.jpg
    cutting table 01.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 83
  • cutting table 02.jpg
    cutting table 02.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 85
I did a quick search when I first saw your post Toni and I'm gonna point to a write-up I found. One thing about this site is it suggests a cheap folding table, and the true hint is to lean the table to the side to get the sheet goods on top for cutting.

Panel Cutting Table

When I bought my EZ Smart cutting guide, I had bought a package that came with the 'smart table'

Smart Table.

Basically, a bunch of plastic pieces that you put some 1x4's on and attache to a piece of ply.

I didn't put legs on mine. I just toss it up on a pair of saw horses.

It doesn't take up much space with folded up.

It does make it nice to cut up panels on. I used it this weekend to break up a couple of pieces of ply wood. Pics of the project to be posted later....

Thanks Frank.

Thanks Brent, I found that too, but I don't want to spend that much on one. For now I think I'm going to try the one Royall made. Later I will probably give the EZ table build a try. I have a couple things to cut up soon so simpler will be better at this time.

I'll post what I do when I do it.

Aloha, Tony

Yeah, it does seem a little pricey for what you get.

The all time easiest and cheapest cutting table would be a 4x8 piece of OSB with one of the 1.5" thick pieces of rigid foam insulation on top of it...

Yeah, it does seem a little pricey for what you get.

The all time easiest and cheapest cutting table would be a 4x8 piece of OSB with one of the 1.5" thick pieces of rigid foam insulation on top of it...

Yeah I'm completely with Brent on this one. To be even cheaper you could get even thinner foam, I think they have it in 3/4" or 1"? Then just adjust your blade on your saw to just cut through the sheet obviously.

I agree that the foam method would work great. My problem would be where to store the foam sheet, and/or the OSB sheet too. As I have no sizable storage, I have to unload a sheet in the parking area, setup my cutting table, which at this point consists of two not so great 2x4's and either my pickup bed (it's a small Mazda) or some folding plastic saw horses. When I'm done cutting, the leftovers go wherever I can find space to slide them into. I usually try to figure projects so most everything is used up fast. Thank goodness I don't have to do many sheet goods projects.

I think I am going to get some straight 2x4's soon and make what Royall has done. That will probably be my best bet.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll post pictures when I get going.

Aloha, Tony