Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price for a cord of wood

Price for a cord of wood

I am researching for a little energy project.

How much is a cord of firewood in your area?

And if you heat 90+% with wood tell me a little about how big your house is and how much wood you expect to use for a season?

Thanks

I live in Florida so not much of a reference point to use.

Is 4 - 6 cord a winter for an average 2000 sq foot house in the northern third of the USA a decent guess??

Can't help you. Natural gas, house at 71*, budget payment $89 per month. You could check craigslist in different locations.

it seems high to me now, although I dont have my wood burning stove anymore.
    I see it advertised locally here on LI for 225, 250 stacked. Im sure if you bought 4 or 5 cords the price would go down slightly.

We pay 165 a cord and ! cord will heat our 1800 sq ft home. It all depends on the insulation and how air tight your home is though. When i lived up north in my home there before the reno's I was using 3 cords a winter and that winter was from Oct- April. After the reno I was using 1 cord and that was a 2400 sq ft home. with old pearson windows. A cord cost me my time and labor back then as we went out and cleaned up logging sites.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Its kind of hard to say. Going by BTU's gets problematic because it is hard to maintain a set temp when heating with wood. Around here if a house uses say 700 gallons of oil a year, it will therefore use about 7 cords of wood. In other words; 100 gallons of oil equals 1 cord. It is surprisingly accurate.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Last edited by John Bartley; 05-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for all the great answers.

Craigslist to look at prices --- never thought of that.

Good idea.

The price and amount answers are just what I was looking for.

Travis - I hoped you would respond. The 1 cord = 100 gallons is exactly what I wanted to here.

You can take all the fancy calculations and trash them. Real world info from someone who has been there and knows lotza others who also burn wood is worth much much more!

Thanks

1800 sq.ft house, and around 3to 4 full chords for time frame of mid oct to late april. no gas help at all. wood price is 125 full chord deliverd
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

1860 sq. ft. home- More wood than I'd care to admit. But of course The house is a sieve and the wood costs me the saw gas and time to git it. A face cord can go for as low as $45 and as high as $75 around here. I probably burn 6-7 full cords. Keep in mind that the efficiency of the stove is a major factor in the equation. I also heat my wood shop and the domestic hot water. I also have 11 kids cycling in and out the doors all day. I am thinking about building a wood gasification boiler and that should cut the wood usage down to around 3 cords per average season. This year has been one cold bummer. I had to switch over to natural gas because it was too cold for my particular stove to keep up and the snow was deep, making wood harder to collect.

We buy 8 cords of 16" blocks and split is ourselves. We burn about 6 and the rest is a reserve and to gradually get us a year's supply ahead.
    The forced-air furnace is the main source of heat, with some baseboard electric in the renovated extremities of the house (about 3000 sq ft).
    I've heard Travis formula before, and it's probably a good rule of thumb.

Brain cramp, sorry, didn't answer your main question.
    A cord of 16" wood, delivered, in rural Nova Scotia (45N, 63W) is $125-140.

I'm thinking about upgrading in the next few years, considering a Tarm boiler in an outbuilding. The wood gets heavier every year, we handle it about eight times and my helpers are off to college. A massive, central masonry heater/fireplace is also a consideration, but would not do the whole job, due to the layout of the house.

By the way, FWIW, I think the term "face cord" was concocted by some shady dealers to scam unwitting suburbanites in the Greater Toronto Area.

Have a great day.
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter Rideout; 02-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.