Norman's Shop Thread

Norman Hitt

This is VERY belated, and the pics are old, but it's a start, so here they are in the post below that George was kind enough to move for me. I WISH there was that much room in there now, (without all the "STUFF" that has collected since these pics) 'cause it would sure be easier to work on it if I didn't have to constantly keep moving things around.

Pic 1 Looking W from the alley into the shop through the 10 x 10 overhead door, you can see the HF lathe
Pic 2 Looking NW from the alley shows the Shop and back fence and Well House at the North end of the fence
Pic 3 Looking E from the SW corner shows the PM 66, and the MiniMax FS 350 J/P combo, Restroom & OH Door
Pic 4 Looking SE from SW corner shows my buddy's Rigid TS in the distance and some of the frosted roof panels &
Somewhere in that mess is a Craftsman 10" Contr Saw, a Craftsman 6" Jointer, a Rigid 6" jointer,
2 Router Tables, several Routers, drills, circular & jig saws, etc., etc.
Pic 5 Looking N from SW corner shows entry door from back yard and a Craftsman Industrial DP & Belt/Disc Sander
Pic 6 Looking SE from NW corner shows MM 20 BS
Pic 7 Looking N from yard shows the semi hidden 16' sliding fence gate I designed and back yard fence
Pic 8 Looking SE from back patio shows the shop entry and the shed room where the DC and AC will go, as well
as a potting bench/sink, etc. The inside wall (with the faucet) of the shed is the west wall of the
restroom.

Hopefully I will be able to get some updated shots (that you can actually see something in) before long.
Thanks for looking.

PS: Ole "Hoss", in pic 8 lost all function in his back & back legs a few months after this pic and had to be put to sleep.
We've had several Good Dogs over the years, but we have decided that Hoss was the last one we will have.

Last edited:
I can still see the pics over there, so I grabbed you a copy. ;)

Attachments

• thanksgiving 04 006.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 006.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 188
  • thanksgiving 04 014.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 014.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 134
  • thanksgiving 04 013b.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 013b.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 127
  • thanksgiving 04 011.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 011.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 146
  • thanksgiving 04 010.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 010.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 159
  • thanksgiving 04 009.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 009.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 153
  • thanksgiving 04 008.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 008.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 165
  • thanksgiving 04 007.jpg
    thanksgiving 04 007.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 155
That's a nice space, Norman, thanks for showing us.
Stuff expands to fill the available space.
And, in addition to some great gear, you have some other key items, such as the Contemplation Recliner and the Cold Beverage Unit.
Regards
Peter

ok norman its been along time since yu have shown and new pics and now we get antiques ones from ya, those are so old they probally used gun powder for the flash.. so when can we expect some fresher ones say the kodak variety possibly or if we are real good the digital age:) didnt realize yu were in the neader on picture takin too.. and yu dont even have cold weather to contend with..sunny and warma ll the time and retired to boot.. come on now pay up bud:rofl:

Pic Posting Problem with new Browser

Well, I found my camera card today that had some pics on it that I had taken along the way on the interior finishing, (the LOML FORGOT, :rolleyes: She had "Borrowed" MY camera card),:( and I even took some NEW shots today when I quit working, BUT....... when my Computer Guru rebuilt my PC, he installed Firefox as my primary browser, and now I cannot figure how to resize the pics, (which was very simple with Windows, and I'm SURE NOT going to install some other new program that I have to learn to work). If I could figure out how to turn OFF Fire Fox and turn Windows back on for this operation, I think I could get it to work.

Another problem is that instead of loading each picture individually into the PC as I usually have done, I put them all in a file, and I haven't figured out how to get them out of there to upload either. I keep getting Nasty Msgs telling me I have the wrong file name, (when I'm looking at it printed right on the screen in front of me.):bang::bang::bang:

Soooooo........ Larry, I guess you'll just have to WAIT a little longer til I figger this mess out. (I hope you're a Man of Patience.):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Always trying to make thing complicated aren't you Norman.:rofl:

Even though you don't want to try anything new you could download Irfanview it is a simple program that a grade school kid can operate:) in 5 minutes without instructions. I've never read the instructions for it. If you look at what it offers on the operation panel you can operate it.:thumb: When you get ready to save make sure to name it & to select the file type you wish to save it in JPEG etc.

Oh & yes it will work for Firefox. It is what I use.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Last edited:
...Even though you don't want to try anything new you could download Irfanview it is a simple program that a grade school kid can operate:) in 5 minutes without instructions...

I use Irfanview every day, and it's an awesome product, but it has WAY more features than someone like Norman might need. The more features, the easier it is to get confused. I think there are other resizing programs that are much easier for computer novices. Like this one. No installation required...it does it all over the Internet.

Norman, I think you have a bit of confusion about Firefox and Windows. Firefox is a "browser" program used to access the Internet; Windows is the "operating system" program that tells your computer it's a computer, and it talks to all the other programs you run on the computer and keeps them in line. The browser you're using really makes no difference in resizing pictures. You were probably using Internet Explorer on your old computer, and you're using Firefox now. Neither one of them can resize a picture. On your earlier computer, you had to have been using some type of program to resize your pictures...Windows itself doesn't have the ability to resize them.

Norm, if you are still having problems with the pics, feel free to e-mail them to me and I'll see if I can get things sorted out for you.

Well, this is really a TEST, so I'll try AGAIN.:rolleyes: If the pics show up they were from the early stages of framing out the West wall of the shop. AHA, (only took me 5 1/2 hrs for me to figure out that my Microsoft resizing system was still in there, AND, how to get to it and then resize the pics and get this far).

Anyhow the wood framing in between the building's metal frame was made in sections and then lifted (and sometimes driven into position with a sledgehammer), and then bolted in place thru the horizontal purlins, (usually three bolts on the top and bottom of each section). I cut short blocks and glued them in place inside the metal purlins where the bolts would go to eliminate any crushing of the purlins when the bolts were tightened. I also used the TEK screws to fasten the frame to the vertical metal framing in two or three places on each end of each frame section.

Where the 2 x 6 metal backer boards were, the wood frame section was built in place by bolting all the horizontal 2 x 4's in place and then notching the vertical 2 x 4's and placing them flat and at an angle against the outer wall skin then knocking them down behind the metal backerboard until they were vertical then twisting them 90* so the notches would fit around the Backer board, and then aligning them to their proper spacing and toe nailing them to the horizontal 2 x 4's. (That was labor intensive and VERY time consuming , especially since they wanted to hang up on the chicken wire that holds the insulation in place). After the framing was in place, I further insulated with R13 Pink fiberglass with paper barrier.

The west wall is the only wall that I used Drywall on the bottom section, (below the electrical outlet duct area) because there will be permanently mounted cabinets along most of that wall, and a sink & small refridgerator. (the large Fridge shown in the pics will not stay, as it belongs to a friend and does not currently work, (so I have paint and Dado blades stored in it for the time being. There is a water line that comes up through the floor and a sewer line by it and you can see the PVC sewer vent line going up the wall & out thru the roof.

I will do more posts later and take one wall at a time, to show the framing, etc, and then the last post of this series will show the latest progress pics.

Thanks for looking.

PS: Thanks to Larry, Bart and Vaughn for all the offers for help, but it looks like "Computer Stupid" finally figured it out.

Attachments

• FWW Forum Shop Shot . 003.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot . 003.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 65
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 009.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 009.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 57
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 007.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 007.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 54
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 045.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 045.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Norman,

What version of windows are you using? XP or Vista?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I'm using XP, and I finally found the resizing thingy well hidden in "OFFICE", then I had a heck of a time before I could get the sequence correct to get it to upload, but FINALLY got it to work. At least NOW, I have all the pictures resized and saved so I can hopefully make the coming posts with reasonable time and effort.:rolleyes:

(There's a REASON I call myself "Computer Stupid").:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Here is the North Wall, which is actually fhe first one I started on, and is the only wall that is framed on 16" centers, as there were several reasons that made it better for that wall than 24" centers. (call it "Mitigating Circumstances"). :D

The obvious gap/lack of vertical frame members above the entry door is in case I want to make a "Storage Cubbyhole" above that door extending out under the entry roof at some later date, (like the one over the restroom), I won't have to remove any framing, just the removable panel I will install there.

The last pic shows "One" of the type of frame problems/mistakes I have had to Work Around during this buildup.

Attachments

• FWW Forum Shop Shot.  001.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 001.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 23
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 005.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 005.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 23
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 006.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 006.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 23
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 035.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 035.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 25
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 049.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 049.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have mentioned in the past that I have a covered channel in the floor that is for the main DC Duct and Electrical to the large tools along that channel AND to the South wall for the outlets there. It is approx 14" x 14" x 25 1/2' that crosses the building close to the middle, going from the north wall to the south wall, and lines up on the North wall to just inside the West wall of the Shed Room. This should allow me to bring the DC duct up just against the North wall then turn and go through the wall and give the duct a straight shot into the Cyclone. To tell you just how "SMART" I was, for proper spacing of the panels on down the wall, in pic 4, I just temporarily fastened the panel to the frame over the opening where the conduit comes up the wall so I could remove it easily before the electrical inspection when that comes up. But....... when I got the nail gun and narrow crown stapler out and started down the wall to add all the rest of the necessary fasteners, ....
....... You might KNOW that I just blew right on through that Temporary Panel and fastened it SOLIDLY in place. Sure glad I took these pictures so maybe the inspector will accept that and I won't have to remove the panel. Who knows?????

Oh yes, if you look on the floor by the TS at the top of the first pic, you can see my shop built water level. (it worked quite well with 4 hoses going off the bottom to all 4 corners of the building at once.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• FWW Forum Shop Shot. 036.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 036.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 16
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 023.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 023.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 16
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 014.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 014.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 15
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 012.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 012.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 16
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 013.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 013.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
hey norman maybe you get your self some help,,that alot of shop for just one fellar to do.. looks good, is that chicken wire on the outside to hold the isulation up?

hey norman maybe you get your self some help,,that alot of shop for just one fellar to do.. looks good, is that chicken wire on the outside to hold the isulation up?

Yeah Larry, they build the metal frame, then stretch and fasten the chicken wire tight over it, then lay the insulation in place and fasten the metal skin on top of that. On the south wall tho, they had to build a 2 x 4 frame and cover it with some kind of board for a firewall (and since it was going to rain, they covered that with some Pink Wrap, then built the metal frame and installed the insulation on the inside of that and covered it with chicken wire. I decided that would NOT work because as you maybe can see in the early pics, it weaved in and out of the metal framing and the metal backer board, so I just removed it and installed the regular fiberglass batts in the normal manner.

Well my attempt to add pics failed, but I'll have to work on that later, 'cause the LOML just called and said a fellow in a truck raced out of a parking lot and crunched her car and it sustained pretty heavy damage, (thankfully, neither she or her passenger were injured), but I've got to go look at it to see if it is safe for her to drive home or not. Wouldn't you know it, it only has 35.000 miles on it, and a new one sure isn't in the budget right now.:(

Gotta go.

Last edited:
Bill, I'm using XP, and I finally found the resizing thingy well hidden in "OFFICE", then I had a heck of a time before I could get the sequence correct to get it to upload, but FINALLY got it to work. At least NOW, I have all the pictures resized and saved so I can hopefully make the coming posts with reasonable time and effort.:rolleyes:

(There's a REASON I call myself "Computer Stupid").:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Norm,
You might want to install the MS Windows 'Pix Resizer' Power Toy on your computer. It's free on the Microsoft website - just Google "Power Toys" to find it.

Once installed, you just right click on any picture on your computer, and select "Resize." The 800 X 600 size is just about perfect for use here. The resizer doesn't change the original pic, it just adds a resized copy. I seldom use any other program now that I have it.

South Wall

OK, back at it again, (if I don't make any more "STUPID" Mistakes).:rolleyes::doh:

Before I could start work on this wall, I had to remove ALL the chicken wire and Insulation and discard it, as it was going to be impractical to try to complete a finished wall over it the way it was installed.

Pic 1 shows the SW corner of the building and the opening left to install the Electrical outlets and run the wiring in. I will install hinged wood covers with cutouts for the outlets and if any problems or changes are necessary or desired later on, I can just remove the outlet covers and drop the long plates down giving access to ALL the wiring etc The Plywood on the bottom of the west wall in Pic 1 is just to protect the drywall that is "Finished" underneath it while moving all the construction materials around.

Pic 4 shows a closeup of the metal hangars that I made a couple of and then had a shop bend the rest. They are installed along the West and South wall so I can add a 24 or 30" deep metal framed shelf for storage ABOVE the cabinetry.

More later.... Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• FWW Forum Shop Shot. 039.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 039.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 019.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 019.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 23
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 017.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 017.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 23
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 021.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 021.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 22
  • FWW Forum Shop Shot. 008.jpg
    FWW Forum Shop Shot. 008.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 23
not sure how your running your electric norman but that middle are alooks like a dandy place to do so... yu got the picture police all paid up now ,,you can take abreak and make sure your wife is doing ok after her fender bender:)