super smooth

Paul Hubbman

I parted ways with my rebuilt Walker Turner 24" scroll saw a few weeks ago (gave it to my Dad) to make room for the Delta 24" scroll saw i got from my boss (along with a junior unisaw and a light duty shaper - all well maintained vintage Delta). I liked that old WT, and had fun rebuilding it (especially with the super cool Baldor "Streamcooled" R.I. motor), but i only need one saw and felt compelled to keep my boss's dad's saw in my shop - he was pretty sentimental about it when we loaded it all into the back of my truck. I understood.

At any rate, i put it on the stand, replaced the wiring, cleaned it up, replaced the belt, and changed the oil over the weekend. I was really stunned when i fired it up. It's really hard to believe how smoothly this thing runs. Quiet too. The WT was a huge improvement over the old Companion scrollie that i had been using (which worked fine, i might add), but this thing is a true cadillac. It's got the original Delta R.I. motor, work light, and now sits on an old Delta scroll saw stand (i picked it up cheap and repainted it for my old WT).

Now, all that's left to do is attach a foot stool for my 5 and 6 year olds. I think they're ready to start learning on this.
Paul Hubbman

yep, i know, but i keep forgetting to take pics, much less bring them into work with me to upload onto the forum. I got a bit tired of no new traffic on the Old Iron discussion, so i posted anyway.
pics, pics, i promise new pics.
paulh

Paul a serious point. When ur 6 yo uses it, how do u keep his fingers away. My 10 yo grandson is ready for much (we just did his cub scout pine wood racer again); but, to be honest I am afraid of a power saw. He sands great and is a sprritzer with a spray bomb; but, again I am afraid of power saws and fingers.

Am I too cautious?

Ray Gerdes in dreary Texaas

I don't know what to say other than careful tutelage, supervision, and instilling a healthy respect for the machine and blade. I think it also depends a lot on each kid's disposition. My son was using a power drill and disc sander when he was 4. Now he's using hand saws, hand planes, the drill/driver, hammer/nails, etc. My daughter, on the other hand, is 5, and i don't see her being ready to use the power tools until she's a couple of years older. She's impatient and a bit careless. My son is neither.
Accidents can always happen, but i think my son can avoid the serious ones if i teach him properly.

paulh