Thread: Makita 2012NB Planer

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.

Makita 2012NB Planer

I'm planning to add a 14"bandsaw, 6" jointer, and a planer to the shop in April. For the moment, I am looking for input on planers. I like what I've heard about the DW735, but I'm a bit put off by the price, plus the need to purchase the tables separately. There are some good reviews of the Makita out there. I think that the 12" capacity is adequate for me, so I wonder if anyone can give me a critique of the 2012NB.

Tony
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi Tony

I have a Makita planner, but it is a very different one, so my review of it would be of little worth.

I did find >> THIS << review online

I have always heard good things about that planer.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Add to that Chuck that the Dewalt is a 13 inch machine versus 12 inch and the dust port has a fan in it to help with chip ejection.
    I have one and I think its great.
    cheers

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.

Prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Ok so the Makita is 64 lbs and has a two knife head that spins 8,800 no load rpms. For $502.00
    The Dewalt is 92 lbs and has a three knife head that spins 10,000 no load rpms for $529.00
    Its a no brainier for me. The Dewalt for 30 bucks more.
    There is a reconditioned DW735 on eBay for $529 plus shipping, and about a month ago our local HD had one on clearance for $479; I decided (maybe unwisely) that I didn't want to buy it here and ship to VT later. Otherwise, I haven't found anything online for less than $649 including shipping. I think I'll wait until we get to VT and check out prices there and in nearby NY stores.

Tony
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Just bought the 735 today. HD has it for $499.99. Went to Lowes, they matched the price, plus took another 10% off. With tax, $473.05

paul

another wize man stepped up to the plate,, good deal there good machines just ask allen
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Well bought Paul thats less that I paid for mine 1 1/2 years ago. Nice unit, you will like it. Wear hearing protection though, it makes a lot of noise.

Gee I just hate hearing about all these planer sales. I have an older 12" Grizzly G1017 nice smooth little machine & my Dads 12" 5HP Belsaw If I didn't have DC on the Belsaw & really started heavy planing I'd be knee deep in chips in no time.

Neither planer looks a fancy as todays models.

A friend of mine once told me to cut down on snipe on these small planers make sure the outer ends of your fold able extension tables are just slightly higher than the main table surface. I found him to be right it works.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

the 735 is a bit heavy, but I can still get it down under the table and lift it myself carefully, so if I can, Im sure most can. Its simple to use, took me all of 3 minutes to figure out.

Tony,

I have the Makita 2012NB planer. I have had it since 2001 and like the planer. If you have a little snipe, you just have to adjust the set screws on the in feed or out feed table depending on which end of the board is sniping. The blades are a breeze to change - it takes about 10 minutes.

My only complaint is the height of the stand. If I was half as tall, it would be perfect. I plan to make a cabinet that will act as a stand for the planer.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."