Thread: Mission Taboret - first sketchup model, please critique

Mission Taboret - first sketchup model, please critique

this is a mission style taboret table that i designed taking some cues from a couple tables i saw in several woodworking books, i cant remember exactly which ones though

anyways this is my first complete sketchup model so i hoping to get some advice on anything i should do differently.

the only thing im so-so on is the screws (bolts?) that hold the top on, first i couldnt figure out how to make a screw head so i did a bolt and second i used a texture for the threads because i couldnt figure out how to make them otherwise

anyways eventually id like to build a real version of this table

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taboret.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	28690

mission_taboret.skp
    Als ik kan

i havnt played in sketchup for the furniture part of it but i can say this you got the QS oak pattern down well and the style kinda looks like g&G some,,dave richards on here can help you on gettin the threads and such..and i like your avatar as well thats clever
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

a great first effort! it looks like it would follow along the lines of charles limbert. sort of a stickley meets elegance, rather than the stickley meets japan with g&g furniture. personally, i would have gone with figure 8 table irons, rather than screws, as they allow more wood movement. used them on all my tables, and not a crack yet, over 5 years of temps and humidity all over the scale. keep up the good work! sketchup is fun for working out what i would call evil thought projects.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

is that done in pro or the free version?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

im using the pro version of 7
    Als ik kan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    a great first effort! it looks like it would follow along the lines of charles limbert. sort of a stickley meets elegance, rather than the stickley meets japan with g&g furniture. personally, i would have gone with figure 8 table irons, rather than screws, as they allow more wood movement. used them on all my tables, and not a crack yet, over 5 years of temps and humidity all over the scale. keep up the good work! sketchup is fun for working out what i would call evil thought projects.
    thanks dan, i was concerned about movement so i enlarged the holes for the screws to go through and used a washer head bolt. i may redo it with the figure 8s as i think where i have the holes drilled for screws on the sides may be a weak point. where would you locate the figure 8s if you were doing a project like this? also should i do the same for the bottom shelf? right now its basically free floating, not sure if thats a good idea or not
    Als ik kan

what i've done with my tables, is to take a .5" (that's half inch larry) forstner bit, and made a round mortise, offset enough to create an opening for the waist of the table iron. nice thing is that it gives you a centered mark for predrilling for the screw. then predrill for screws in the underside of the table. if the table has an apron, i would attach to the apron, if cross members like your example, to the cross members. i'm including an example of how i used them to attach the top of the bed side tables i made. hope all this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table iron.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Mike, I like the simplicity of your table. (although we all know that it's not a simple table to build) A good choice of wood will make this table stand out even more. I think that the figure 8 table top fasteners would be a better choice then screws through the legs.

Your Sketchup skills are doing great. I noticed that you have made each part a component which is very good. I wouldn't have made this model any differently myself. Here are a couple of renderings that I did of your table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table-1a.jpg   table-2a.jpg   table-3a.jpg  

Nice model. I recognize that oak material.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Cool table, Mike. I like the lapped leg joints. (It's cool being able to dissect it and move the parts around with SketchUp.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com