Mission Taboret - first sketchup model, please critique

Mike Gager

this is a mission style taboret table that i designed taking some cues from a couple tables i saw in several woodworking books, i cant remember exactly which ones though :(

anyways this is my first complete sketchup model so i hoping to get some advice on anything i should do differently.

the only thing im so-so on is the screws (bolts?) that hold the top on, first i couldnt figure out how to make a screw head so i did a bolt and second i used a texture for the threads because i couldnt figure out how to make them otherwise

anyways eventually id like to build a real version of this table

taboret.jpg

View attachment mission_taboret.skp

i havnt played in sketchup for the furniture part of it but i can say this you got the QS oak pattern down well:thumb: and the style kinda looks like g&G some,,dave richards on here can help you on gettin the threads and such..and i like your avatar as well thats clever:rofl::thumb:

a great first effort!:thumb: it looks like it would follow along the lines of charles limbert. sort of a stickley meets elegance, rather than the stickley meets japan with g&g furniture. personally, i would have gone with figure 8 table irons, rather than screws, as they allow more wood movement. used them on all my tables, and not a crack yet, over 5 years of temps and humidity all over the scale. keep up the good work! sketchup is fun for working out what i would call evil thought projects. :D

a great first effort!:thumb: it looks like it would follow along the lines of charles limbert. sort of a stickley meets elegance, rather than the stickley meets japan with g&g furniture. personally, i would have gone with figure 8 table irons, rather than screws, as they allow more wood movement. used them on all my tables, and not a crack yet, over 5 years of temps and humidity all over the scale. keep up the good work! sketchup is fun for working out what i would call evil thought projects. :D

thanks dan, i was concerned about movement so i enlarged the holes for the screws to go through and used a washer head bolt. i may redo it with the figure 8s as i think where i have the holes drilled for screws on the sides may be a weak point. where would you locate the figure 8s if you were doing a project like this? also should i do the same for the bottom shelf? right now its basically free floating, not sure if thats a good idea or not

what i've done with my tables, is to take a .5" (that's half inch larry) forstner bit, and made a round mortise, offset enough to create an opening for the waist of the table iron. nice thing is that it gives you a centered mark for predrilling for the screw. then predrill for screws in the underside of the table. if the table has an apron, i would attach to the apron, if cross members like your example, to the cross members. i'm including an example of how i used them to attach the top of the bed side tables i made. hope all this helps.

Attachments

• table iron.jpg
    table iron.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
Mike, I like the simplicity of your table. (although we all know that it's not a simple table to build) A good choice of wood will make this table stand out even more. I think that the figure 8 table top fasteners would be a better choice then screws through the legs.

Your Sketchup skills are doing great. I noticed that you have made each part a component which is very good. I wouldn't have made this model any differently myself. Here are a couple of renderings that I did of your table.

Attachments

• table-1a.jpg
    table-1a.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 14
  • table-2a.jpg
    table-2a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 18
  • table-3a.jpg
    table-3a.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
Cool table, Mike. I like the lapped leg joints. (It's cool being able to dissect it and move the parts around with SketchUp.)