Clock dressup

Al killian

OK, I have been asked to make a few things for a fundraiser, which will help raise money to pay medical bills for a local guy. One of the projects will be a Mantel clock. I have the hardware on the way and looking fo input on how to make the clock nicer lookin. I am going to the lumber suppleir to find som high figured grain wood for it. Where the black face is, I plan on useing a contrasting wood from the frame. For wood, I am thinking curly walnut and a curly maple face.Ideas, good bad or other are welcome.
mantel-clock-medium.jpg

I'd rather go for a shape more curvilinear than the straight box one that you show.

That would involve more work for sure but I think it would enhance the woods you mention. Have look at clock pictures and try not to do anything similar to those. I know that that is easier to say than to do but it pays off the effort.

That doesn't need to be your taste, I'm concious that I like curves and sharp pointed shapes.

What do you think of cherry for the case and curly maple for the face. I was digging in the veneer and found a few peices of curly walnut, chestnut burl and sapele(?).

i like your idea of using contrasting woods,,my choice would be the maple.quillted out side and the inside can be any dark flat grain veneer the no.then could be white.. the style could be alterd to have some more profiling in the edges as well al..

sure yu would:) we havnt seen any of it yet:D the last thing we saw yu make ws round and there wasnt any on it:) had to get ya while i can

I am not done with that piece yet (you will note it did not have a finish on it). It will have inlay I promise. In the mean time just wait ...I am finishing a serving tray (hey FLATWORK!!!) soon and will be sure to post. It has marquetry but no inlay.

I will show FWW a trick on my little ornament when I get some time....dog gone project queue seems to try and back up on me if I don't watch it!

Yes Larry...get me while you can!:)