Box Swap Pictures

Don Baron

Hi everyone! I hope no one minds, but I thought it might be easier to start a new thread for the pictures. I received my box from Brent last night. Here are a couple of pictures of it.
Brent, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is cherry and bloodwood. The box looks great, and thanks for the pen too.
Don

Attachments

• box swap 1.jpg
    box swap 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 177
  • Box swap 2.jpg
    Box swap 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Box Swap 3.jpg
    Box Swap 3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 156
Hi everyone! I hope no one minds, but I thought it might be easier to start a new thread for the pictures. I received my box from Brent last night. Here are a couple of pictures of it.
Brent, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is cherry and bloodwood. The box looks great, and thanks for the pen too.
Don

You got the Cherry right. The other wood is Paduak. The pen is also made of Paduak. Just a simple tung oil finish on it.

Thanks for the pictures! I got flustered about trying to get it in the mail and forgot to take any!

the boxes are coming!

the boxes are coming,, got one in the mail today and boy is she sweet.. i saw it settun on the table this afternoon and was ready to see what was inside.well i gently opened up one end, the first thing that popped out was a tag from a LN plane:eek: oh boy i got a surprize too. i thought the next thing after a piece of packing paper. was the thank you for your purchase tag.. now i need a towel...(druweling) then i again lifted the box and no it doesnt feel like it was heavy enough for a plane.. then i gently puled out the next packing paper and here is what i saw..

tn_IMG_0957.JPG boy thats purty Don Baron, yu dun good on pickun out
the wood for this one

tn_IMG_0958.JPG and there's a note inside that says
these are all handcut joints:thumb::thumb:

tn_IMG_0959.JPG and to top it all off,
that top fits either way
you put it in on .. thats one fine box Don
tn_IMG_0960.JPG

so now we know your good with hand tools
yu need to post some of your work.. thanks
a bunch for the box, don it will rezide on top
of my secretary:D:thumb:

forgot to add that this not only shines but its smooooth too!

Last edited:
Another nice box :thumb: Nice job Don. Nice wood combination, I have used the same combination myself on a few boxes. Hand cut tails to boot :eek: sweet!
Get ready Brent, looks like you should get yours tomarrow, its in NV already. Hope you like cardboard :D I found it makes nice boxes :rofl:

Get ready Brent, looks like you should get yours tomarrow, its in NV already. Hope you like cardboard :D I found it makes nice boxes :rofl:

The UPS guy has been here every day this week so far. I warned him that I'd see him again tomorrow! :rolleyes: Guess I've been a little busy trying to prop up the economy... :eek:

Looking forward to it!

Nice work on both of your boxes, Brent and Don. Nice details and sweet wood on both of them. Looking forward to seeing some more.

I think I definitely 'Traded up' on this whole box swap thing!

I think I definitely 'Traded up' on this whole box swap thing! The UPS man just stopped by and dropped a little something off.

It's a beautiful Craftsman styled box made out of what appears to be QSWO and Walnut!

A raised panel top, Super nice hinges!

I'm just blown away Tom! Thanks!

Tom_Niemi_Box_1.jpg

Tom_Niemi_Box_2.jpg

Sand baggin huh!!

see he sets back says he's just a beginner but hes got talent within huh..i saw it up close and personal before it left brent...did he tell ya he had insured for 150 dollars,, that how many boards he had to buy just to get the right stuff:) ya dun good Tom:D:thumb:

oh and brent we need to get toms son in gear he has a flat project that needs to be seen!!!! he's every bit as precise as his dad is!!!

Last edited:
Ya got it mostly right Brent except it is qtr sawn red oak, yes the flecking resembles white oak, but it is red. You got the first fully finished project from my "labor day wood find" wood. Happy you like it :wave:

Tom

see he sets back says he's just a beginner but hes got talent within huh..i saw it up close and personal before it left brent...did he tell ya he had insured for 150 dollars,, that how many boards he had to buy just to get hte right stuff:) ya dun good Tom:D:thumb:

I'll say he dun good! He didn't tell me about the insurance, but I can tell you I've never received a package so well wrapped. Took me a full 10 minutes to figure out how to get the cardboard box cut off and to carefully extricate the box from the packaging material :D

Ya got it mostly right Brent except it is qtr sawn red oak, yes the flecking resembles white oak, but it is red. You got the first fully finished project from my "labor day wood find" wood. Happy you like it :wave: Tom

Ahhh, now I can see. Never saw QSRO before, but it sure does have some nice flecks in it. Very nice job. Now, to find an appropriate use for it. I do know that once I get my fireplace redone, and get a suitable craftsman style mantle, it will most likely be on display there! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hope you like cardboard :D I found it makes nice boxes :rofl:[/QUOTE]

See I told you cardboard makes nice boxes :D:rofl::rofl:. We ship out a lot from my work and we make custom packaging for all. I've been making cardboard boxes for 35yrs, at least they hold up well :p:D