router table-tannewitz-extension wing

i just finished this extension wing for my tanney U with router drop in
DSCF0025-11.jpg

the size of the top is 24"x42"x1 3/4" it's made from a bunch of different woods-
DSCF0023-9.jpg

showing how angle iron is fixed to saw- top is screwed to angle iron
DSCF0018-8.jpg

there are two threaded inserts for the knobs that tighten the fence down fixed in the table top
DSCF0008-21.jpg

DSCF0010-17.jpg

the drop in is 5/8" thick-it's 5/16" billy webb laminated to 5/16" birch -one grain going one way the other going ninety degrees the other -billy webb on the top
DSCF0012-12.jpg

the aluminum inserts are 1/4"
DSCF0014-10.jpg

showing the simple lift i use to adjust bits up are down
DSCF0019-10.jpg

i really like the way this feels--solid
DSCF0033-4.jpg

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

Looks like it fits right in your shop, Alex. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but straightforward and made to get work done. Your shop is a classic example of a craftsman's shop. :thumb: And what you build there proves it.

ok alex can yu explain how that router adjuster works???/i see what appears to be a gas filled shock but maybe i am not looking at the it the right way???? but your table is definatly well thought out.. and the square inserts is unique..

That looks great Alex. One of a kind for sure. :thumb:

As a bonus, you can use it to cut limes on Friday afternoons for cocktails once the tools have all been shut down. :D:p

thanks all-
some answers-
vaughn-no bells no whistles-don't need em-i live a short block from the railroad yard.

larry-no gas filled shock-just a tube with a threaded rod-highland hardware in atlanta sold these at one time-i added the little wooden crank handle.

glenn-yes that is a rock-a stone-i keep one on each machine-it's a safety thing.

jeff- why wait until friday-this is texas.

alex--?

ken- it's like baseball - what ever works for you-how so, well first the stones should mean something to you are else they're just rocks-they should not be so big that they're awkward -they will have to be moved often but this will become second nature after awhile-(like throwing your neck tie over your shoulder, if you work in a neck tie-((i'm just speculating- iv'e never worked in a neck tie ))-)--anyway right before you turn on the machine you put your hand on the stone,if you have to move it then do it now.
an old apache in new mexico told me how to do this,he also said to put the stones next to your head at night for headaches-i don't have headaches so iv'e never tried that but i do keep a stone on each machine,such as
#1 table saw
DSCF0002-37.jpg

#2 table saw
DSCF0039-1.jpg

#3 table saw
DSCF0046-4.jpg

if you don't guard the snake oil
then buster you don't have a show

alex

thanks all-
some answers-

larry-no gas filled shock-just a tube with a threaded rod-highland hardware in atlanta sold these at one time-i added the little wooden crank handle.

alex--?

ok the rock is it for a reminder that you need safty gear when yu move it off the saw or tool? and as for the highland hardware adjuster,,do they have a specific name for it or just router adjuster?

ok the rock is it for a reminder that you need safty gear when yu move it off the saw or tool? and as for the highland hardware adjuster,,do they have a specific name for it or just router adjuster?

larry-no - the stones are the safety gear - though i wouldn't call them gear- as for the router adjuster-i called highland and they no longer carry them-maybe someone out there knows what they're called and where you can get them---anybody---?
DSCF0001-29.jpg

the threaded rod has turned down threads on the end that screws into the router base-the tube (the black tube with the handle) has threads where the rod screws in-the handle is fixed solid-again i replaced the handle on this one because i liked the looks of this old wooden one
DSCF0003-43.jpg

DSCF0005-19.jpg

alex

rennie ..yup i had the same idea but i didnt mentione that part ..see he touches the stone before every cut,, that reminds him to look at what he is doing.. i used to carry a prety large rock in my huntin pants for a similar reason. yu reach in and yu feel the reminder that you have to do something else..yu have them rennie just in a differnt form somewhere in your shop you have a thing that reminds yu of something yu dont want to forget!!!!

OK, add me to the Larry List - I'm confused.... and curious. The stones ARE the safety gear?

rennie-if you are going to add yourself to the larry list i'm not sure you should admit that (no offense larry) and yes the stones ARE the safety gear-though i'm not sure i would call them gear--if your still confused , well just think baseball.

larry-after i talked to highland hardware and was told they no longer carried them and couldn't remember who made them i started looking and found the---hitachi 725003 height adjustment router knob- they say it's for the hitachi M12V plunge router but as you can see from the pictures i have it connected to a porter cable---amazon sells them for $24 plus---i'm sure it works as well as lets say the jessEm Mast-R-Lift system that sell for around $765---before the adjustment rod i used an old screw type floor jack on a little stand under the router--worked fine.

alex

Last edited: