Music Workstation

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Heres my music workstation all put together and in use...

It's nice to have it in a separate place.

The biggest advantage is I can now use both keyboards at the same time and it actually saves some space.

Now if only I had the talent and skill to make anything resembling music with it all :rolleyes:

musiworkstation.jpg

It's basically just Home depot plywood cut, dadoed, glued, and screwed together. Add a little antique maple gel stain and satin poly and there it is.

It's not what I'd call fine furniture, but it went together quick should come in pretty handy.

Heres the link to the original design thread. It's pretty darn close.

Sketchup really helps to visualize the size and functionality of it before you actually cut wood....
Workstation Design Thread

Looks more like a play station than a work station. But maybe that name was taken ;)

It's great when 2 hobbies support each other. It's really nice to have something purpose-built. I'm sure the time you spent in SketchUp helped you optimise the use of space there.

Great work!

That looks great, Brent. :thumb:

I'd love to make something along those lines. Right now I've got a desk with a keyboard/effects rack/8-track recorder stand at a right angle, to the right of the desk. It's a pain to use things set up that way, because when I'm facing the music gear, it's too easy to bang the headstock of the guitar into the desk. I need a bigger room, too. That would solve a lot of my problems. :rolleyes:

Thanks Guys!

This is in an old converted garage. I use it as my:

1: Home Office
2: Exercise Room
3: Pantry Storage (Hidden behind doors to right of 'playstation')
4: Music Room.
5: Laundry Room (Doors to the left of the 'playstation')

I just got done with everything today and hooked up, so I'm not exactly sure if I've got everything positioned the way I'll keep them.

The "drums" may need to be moved.

I'm pretty familiar with banging the headstock on things and that looks like a good target for the guitars...:D

I've got an audio card with 10 inputs and 10 outputs. Couple that with Sonar Home Studio, and that pretty much takes care of everything I would need recording wise. I used to use an old tascam 4 track, but I never really mastered it. I wouldn't mind getting an outbound mixer, but I really don't need one with all the ins and outs on my card. A little microphone preamp and patch bay gets me about the same setup as a small outboard mixer....

The uke and the mandolin came in 'kit' form. Pretty simple to put together.

I did design and build my own 'travel' classical guitar completely from scratch. It actually plays and sounds pretty decent for what it is.

I do have plans for making a tenor ukulele one of these days.

I'm also thinking of building an electric guitar as well.

I've got some rosewood and ebony stashed away to use for finger boards...

I have a bit of a tough time mashing the strings down on the tiny little neck of the ukulele and the mandolin...