My Street Organs

Well I have been asked to post some picture of my Street Organs so here goes. Or at lest I going to try (1st pictures)

There are around 450 parts to this one and they take about 300 hr to build. This one is 20 notes with 20 pipes. I have one I am working on now that is 26 note and has 70 pipes and will have a Glockinsteel on it when done. Its playing now and sound great (I think anyway) but the case work is not complete yet will try to get some picture of it so you can see the insides

Jay

.JPG 901.JPG .JPG 902.JPG Organ 3 resize.jpg

Last edited:
Tom I haven't figured out how to do youtube yet but will try to work on it this week.
Yes I build the pipes also they are made from 1/8" thick stock ether Baltic Birch or Purina Pine this one has Walnut fronts on them. The only thing I don't make right now are the rolls and the roll ends.

I am working on a punch to make my own rolls sometime soon I hope as right now I have to get them from the UK and its killing me. The guy that used to punch them here in the states quit. The Punch machine will be like a CNC

If you look on the bench behind the Organ on the first two picture you can see pipes that are made of more organs.

Jay

Last edited:
I knew this would be something to look at...wow.......this is stuff ya gotta share....Ive never actually seen one up close and personal in a picture. ...I have 50-60 paper rolls that still work on a player piano my wife had in her home since the 60s.
Are those rolls the same kinda thing?

Last edited:
I knew this would be something to look at...wow.......this is stuff ya gotta share....Ive never actually seen one up close and personal in a picture. ...I have 50-60 paper rolls that still work on a player piano my wife had in her home since the 60s.
Are those rolls the same kinda thing?

Kind of the paper is same but the hole spacing and width of roll and hole size are different.
This has 2 bellows in the bottom the make pressure and the top box works like an air tank. Air goes down through holes in tracker bar and a hose is connected to each pipe when an open hole in the paper goes over tracker bar hole it plays that note.

Jay

Jay, That's just unbelievably incredible.

Where do you get the paper rolls? I heard that the last play piano paper roll manufacturer was ceasing production, so I can't even imagine where those come from.

My Uncle had a player piano with a leaky bellow when I was a kid. It still worked, kind of, but man you got a work out getting it to play....

That's awesome work, Jay. :bow: They look like cool machines. I'd really like to see some in-progress pics if you can get some. :thumb:

Wow, Jay, Those are awesome. :eek: I've never seen anything like it. You get a thousand of these :thumb:

I'd be really pumped to see a video too! Really curious on how they sound!

Last edited:
Awesome!

Did you develop the plans? Or where did you find them? I may never build one, but the plans would be fascinating to look at.

How many have you made?

Questions, questions, questions!

But this has to be one of the more awesome woodworking things I have every seen!

Really, really great. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for sharing! :congrats: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jay, that has to be a lost art, I imagine at one time there were any number of makers of those organs, but they must all be just about gone by now :dunno:

Only guys like yourself with the skills and determination would be making them.

Do you do this for the pure fun of it? Is there a market for such a thing in this day and age of iPods etc?

Figure out the YouTube thing, I'd love to see and hear it play! :thumb:

If things work out, I might be dropping in on you today or tomorrow.
Got a feeling when I see yer shop and work I'm going to be real humbled.
That is a nice, and complex, piece of work.

Great stuff!! Like Stu, I'm curious about how you got into making these. It's the first of this I've seen. I think you/your art would make a prime candidate for a woodworking mag feature; very interesting! and your craftsmanship looks top notch! Bravo!

Thank you for all the kind comments on the organ
This one is called the John Smith Senior 20 I have made 4 of these so far and one Universal 26 still waiting to be finished up.

The basis of the Organ can be bought from John Smith in Europe he has plans for 4 different Organs right now. Plans can be bought form John Smith. They are hand draw prints so you will need a lot of head scratching.

I was invited to demonstrate building and playing them at Silver Dollar City in Branson in 05 but thats when I got injured and had to have lower back surgery and was never able to make it there and now with the way the economy is going may have to wait awhile longer. Last I talked to them they still wanted me to come so will see.

I can safely say that if you build one of these the first time you crank it and hear a tune come out of it you will not be able to wipe that silly grin off you face they are just too much fun:D

I do play at various event around area and take them back home (Chapman Ks) to play for Labor Day

Thanks again everyone :)
Jay

Last edited: