Spindle Turning Class is Complete!

Well, I taught my first spindle turning course tonight, and it went great! It was a lot of fun, and I got to help others turn design features they had been struggling with. Each student was a pleasure to work with, and they all did very well. How cool is it to be able to teach others to turn!

Hutch

Last edited:
Larry Do you see this? He's turning more over to our side:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Way to go Matt:thumb:

larry, we need to find a better bribe than cookies to keep folks from joining the dark side....:lurk:

hey, i even gave him wood in hopes he would conform and have even tried to give his company more business, yet he still wonders back to the great big lath world:D what else can i do???

What can I say....

If it's any consolation Larry, my first love is furniture making. :D So maybe my woodturning is a forbidden affair. :rofl: What a seductive mistress!! :eek:

In truth, I will returning to a mix of furniture making and turning in a few months when I get all my other tools up and running. This last summer I finally got some tools, and I soon will have a complete shop, not just a lathe and chainsaw.

But don't get too excited. I am trying to start a business that is focused on architectural turning, with doing art pieces and bowls as much as possible.

Larry, let me know when you get that PM 3520B Lathe, and I will give you some lessons. (I saw him looking at the one on my work's showroom floor. That's right, he's got a roving eye.) :doh:

Hutch

Larry, let me know when you get that PM 3520B Lathe, and I will give you some lessons. (I saw him looking at the one on my work's showroom floor. That's right, he's got a roving eye.) :doh:

Hutch[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek: How did I miss that :dunno::huh: I was there and didnt notice his roving eye or I would have shot a picture :rofl::rofl::rofl::D

Hey it was nice meeting you last week Hutch. Good to see your back on the forum :wave:

Tom

LOL

Ok, so maybe that's a little exaggeration. But he did look at it when he was walking by it. I could tell he found it attractive. :rofl:

Anywho, more about the class.

What we did in class was rather mundane, although it still looked cool. We worked on some skill building forms. We turned walnut, making five, 1 inch wide beads separated by coves with fillets. After that we addressed skew handling (i.e. roughing, planing, peel cuts, endgrain shearing, gentle curve making, but not rolling beads.) There were three students, and it was really encouraging to get positive feedback. I like the thought of helping others improve. :thumb:

Hutch

P.S. I will definitely be teaching more classes at every opportunity. I already have another spindle class lined up, and a bowl turning class. Woohoo!

Last edited:
...I like the thought of helping others improve. :thumb:

Hutch

P.S. I will definitely be teaching more classes at every opportunity. I already have another spindle class lined up, and a bowl turning class. Woohoo!
When I was teaching guitar for a living, I reckoned I learned as much or more from teaching than I ever did as a student. Teaching forces you to really think about how you do things, and also how to use several different approaches to reach the same goal.