Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffet-Mahogany and Sapele Ply-planning stages and first cuts

Buffet-Mahogany and Sapele Ply-planning stages and first cuts

I have a couple days of good weather, not much time in shop, but at 58 degrees, Im not passing up this great weather to get a head start.I jsut came up to pull splinters out of my hands.
    Im not 100% certain this is something I can build, but I will do my best, take my time, and if anyone looks here, Ill post pics now and then.
    I opted for ply sides and bottom, the rest will be solid mahogany.
    Im pretty sure once assembled, I wont stand a chance at moving this.
    I was going to build from the inside out, but after seeing my numbers, hoping they are correct, Id rather build the entire frame, mortise and tenons, dry fit it all, then work on the inside seperate cause Id rather trim 1/8 off a piece of plywood than have to change alot of rails and supports.
    I will offer some cross supports between bottom rails since its going to be close to 6 feet long.
    The bottom back rail will actually be underneath, unseen, but supporting the cabinet from the rear.
    Im not a furniture designer, so I designed something I think Ill understand how to build.
    The legs will be 1 and 3/4 by approx 2 and 1/4, enough to support the weight(solid mahogany, no glueup)

I had a few wild ideas for design, my wife didnt like any of them. I drew this one, she loved it. So thats it, a straight foward buffet/credenza.

My first step, since my mind is slipping, is choosing each piece for all parts,cutting to rough lengths for easier handling, and labeling them. Once I joint them, Ill mark that, as I have, then start ripping to rough size on TS,face joint plane, then recut on mitre and TS to actual sizes

Toughest thing Ive ever attempted.IM just hoping it looks something like the picture I drew, and the doors open somewhat straight.
    Off I go, time to wake up the neighbors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 550 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 551 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 552 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 02-11-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Allen I will be watching! A buffet is on my wife's list.

I hope to catch a few pointers here!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

now yu becareful there allen i am watchun too you are settin some high standards for the rest of us on the projects done in a year!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

allen, you have the green light from the boss herself, run with it before she changes her mind again....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I gotta boost from one of my kids.
    I shot over the picture thru an email of what Im going to build, and the response I got on cell phone was "Dad! Get a grip! I know you can build things, but mommy wants a real piece of furniture! "

and so, its grand when a man in his mid fifties has children that inpsire confidence.

Allen, I just want to say your energy impresses me. I feel embarrassed that I am not able to even match 50% of your effort. The other thing that I really admire is your fearlessness to tackle anything. As for your design, I think you have a very good eye. I like it.

I am sure that the others will agree, we are fortunate that we have you here participating in the forum, otherwise there would not be anywhere near the number of interesting posts to read. Please, for the rest of us slackers, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Allen, I just want to say your energy impresses me. I feel embarrassed that I am not able to even match 50% of your effort. The other thing that I really admire is your fearlessness to tackle anything. As for your design, I think you have a very good eye. I like it.

I am sure that the others will agree, we are fortunate that we have you here participating in the forum, otherwise there would not be anywhere near the number of interesting posts to read. Please, for the rest of us slackers, keep up the good work.
    a buddy i am still at it bill but am hittun road blocks continually...will catch up later i hope.. go allen before she changes her mind.. and like billsaid your the main one doing anything now

Im getting my moneys worth out of the dust collector.
    I had to order some gates cause Im sick and tired of changing up the hoses.
    I had to send you a pm larry, Im a bit confused on hooking up gates.

All the wood except for a couple of pieces are edged (one side) and face jointed, ready for planing.Back breaking work, alot more than I realized face jointing all those long pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 554 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 556 (Medium).jpg  

oh no allen yu didnt askme for assitance i am not a DC know it all but i did tell ya what i do.. look at all the wood you lost.. when face jointing i dont think yu need to edge joint but you are already there. see the planer doesnt care if your edge is straight or not..also when face jointing rember you only have so much thickness to work with.. so look your boardsa over well and use any tricks you can to save from having to take ot much of while face jointing,,there was a article just the otherday in popular woodworking ot amercian woodworker about cuttin to size first then flattening to save the usable wood.. doin good bud and dont forget to keep after that guy so yu can get away to meet this spring!

this wood was a very generous cut, so jointing and face jointing still leaves me alot of planing to go, maybe Ill leave the top a bit thicker.